Do I need a new seal plate?

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I am replacing my motor due to bad bearings, and when I removed the seal plate and mounting plate from the motor, I noticed they were looking like this. Can I just clean these up, and reinstall with the new motor, or do these look like they need to be replaced? Obviously there is a lot of corrosion due to water getting in, so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Attachments

• seal-plate.JPG
    seal-plate.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 24
So I just replaced the motor, and turned it on, and all I hear is a faint humming, but it is for sure not spinning or anything. Any suggestions? I have read it could be incorrect voltage, stuck impeller, or bad capacitor. It is a brand new motor. I am running it in 115, and I moved the jumper from 230 to the 115 spot. I ran the black and white electrical wires to the same screws that they were connected to on the old motor. Ideas to look at?

Here is a pic. I noticed on the old motor, that the jumper was in the 230V position, but I am pretty sure my setup is 115V, so I moved the jumper to the 115V position. As far as the shaft spinning freely, when I pulled the motor from the pump, and tried turning the plastic piece attached to the shaft, it turns, but is does take a little force. I wouldn't say it spins like a top or anything.

Attachments

• new motor wiring.jpg
    new motor wiring.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 16
  • old motor wiring.jpg
    old motor wiring.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 16
I think I may have figured it out. The black wire is supposed to be in the first screw, not the one by the jumper. I actually didn't think it mattered which terminal the black and white wires go to, but I just read that it should be the opposite of how I did it, so I am going to swap the wires and see if that does the trick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not touch the jumper on the old motor and it appears to be in the 230V position. If my wiring was 230, then wouldn't I have black, red, and green wires, instead of black, white, and green? Here is my timer wiring. I will go test the voltage, but I am 99% sure it is 115V.

Attachments

• timer wiring.jpg
    timer wiring.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 9
If my wiring was 230, then wouldn't I have black, red, and green wires, instead of black, white, and green?
People don't always use the correct color wire.

That's why I always test the voltage instead of assuming what it is from the wire color.

The below picture looks like the 115 position.

So, you might be correct, but test anyway.

1632435861188.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.