Do I need a new cartridge filter

IL_WS

Sep 18, 2012
IL, NW of Chicago
I finally opened my pool after a vacation. I was worried that it would be green because of several weeks of hot temperatures. What I wasn't expecting was the excessive noise my pump is making.

A little background. This is the 4th year for my pool. I usually clean the cartridge filter with a nozzle once or twice a season based on pressure increase. Last season, I cleaned it just past halfway through, and didn't get around to cleaning it at the end of the season. When I attempted to clean it at the start of this season, it didn't seem to get nearly as clean as I remembered - it was still dirty looking instead of nearly white.

I moved forward with it anyway. However, the pressure is much higher than I remember. I'm now running about 15psi whereas I remember about 5psi. The flow seems great.The pump is exceedingly loud.

I'm assuming that the problem lies with the filter rather than the pump since I already suspected something off there. I will try running either without the filter in place, or to waste tonight to see if that resolves the pump noise level. If the filter is the problem, is there any better way to clean it rather than just a hose and nozzle? I havn't needed a pressure washer before, but I haven't noticed a problem like this before as well. Are there any chemicals or solvents that can help with a clogged filter?

Alternately, should I just buy a new filter? What sort of life should I expect from it if well maintained? It is currently not deformed or any noticeable tears.

On a related note, what is the best way to get the filter top case reattached? I have always struggled with getting it to lock properly. I don't know if my issue is that the filter isn't straight causing interference with the top to screw down properly, or that I'm cross threaded.

I have a single Hayward cartridge filter. I can squeeze maybe 2-3 years out of one before I finally decide it's time to replace it. When I do, it's usually because the bands around the pleats are coming off and/or the pleated material just looks worn. I usually order my replacements on Amazon and look for quality replacements from places like Pleatco, etc. I too just us e a regular pressure nozzle to clean between the pleats. I don't use anything too strong as I don't want to damage the cartridge itself. Some folks will soak their cartridges in TSP then maybe even do an acid soak afterwards, but for me, I've found it's just as easy and efficient to replace the cartridge.

As for the cartridge being crooked, or the housing not fitting correctly, you might try posting a pic of what it looks like. Also clarify in your signature which specific filter brand you have so we can do a bit of research as well. Thanks for using the forum.

I discharged to waste, but the pump noise was largely unchanged. I have bought a new cartridge filter (Pleatco from Amazon - thanks Texas Squad) and will replace it when my pressure increases. I don't yet have a picture of the cartridge cover, so I'll post that for any input before I replace the cartridge.

I have been wanting to buy a 2-speed pump for a while, and I'm finally going to pull the trigger. After I get it installed, I'll try repairing (bearings?) the existing pump for a backup. Someone tracked down that my existing pump (AO Smith 7-193554-01) is 1.5HP.

My question is: would it be acceptable to replace the 1.5HP pump with 1HP? A 1HP 2-speed option is this from Amazon for $260. The same series is also available in 1.5HP for $303. I'm mindful of the cost of operation, so would like the smaller pump unless there is an issue (heater doesn't register at max setting).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.