Do I need a check valve in the return line?

Dean4

Jul 16, 2019
SE Georgia
I just had my pool resurfaced and they replaced my gate valves on the inlet and return lines. The person replacing the valves noticed a check valve in the return line and asked who installed that? I said I assumed the people that built the pool did. he said the equipment was above the waterline so the check valve was not needed. He removed it when re-piping the valves. Well, I have a 30 year old stainless steel, Harmsco Tropic=Flo single cartridge pool filter without a pressure relief valve or pressure guage. Now, it seems to be building up pressure after a brief tim of running and water starts leaking from around the lid. Could that check valve being removed be the cause of the pressure building in the filter? Never happened before in 30 years. Yes, I replaced the lid gasket. Any help appreciated.

Dean,

Show us some pics... Return lines don't have check valves, so we just may not understand the whole picture..

I also can't see how a check valve would have any effect on your filter... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.