Do I have to use a sump pump to partially drain my pool?

mdames

Apr 7, 2017
Northridge, CA
I need to do a partial drain of my in-ground pool. I am not able to use my main drain for this purpose (main drain is not functioning), utilizing the waste valve setting on my filter. I can set my valve to either close the skimmer or close the suction side port that I attach my Hayward cleaner to. Would it be safe to remove about 35% of my water by keeping the Hayward cleaner attached to the suction and close off the skimmer? It seems like this should work since the cleaner will always be at the bottom of the pool. I know it will move from deep end to shallow end. But if I watch it, it seems like this could work. Is there anything I'm not seeing that could be a problem? Thanks

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

That will work but needs to be supervised. At some point you'll pull air and the pump will lose prime, so you'll need to be ready to shut the pump off.

If you have a spot lower than the pool to discharge water, you can also siphon water out, using your vacuum hose or some other hose.

And just to be thorough, it sounds like you've considered the risks around draining, but if you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

You do not say what type of pool you have (vinyl, fiberglass, gunite, etc) Please fill out your signature - Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

In southern California, typically you have little surface water, so it should not be a problem. Unless the pool is vinyl. Let us know if that is true.

If the pool is gunite - you do not want to drain it on a sunny, hot day. You should not leave your plaster dry under those conditions.

Take care

Thanks for the info.

Be sure you have the box checked in the lower left of the Reply box.

As it is plaster, be aware of draining it in hot, sunny conditions. How old is the plaster?

The plaster was re-done in December 2016. I think I've fixed the problem with my signature not showing. I'm going to try numerous small drainings to lower my CYA over time. Hopefully that will get me where I need to be. Thanks for the input.

You can do many small drain and refills. It will increase the total amount of new water you add by a significant amount, but that is up to you.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.