Do I have a suction side air leak?

Ben502

Sep 8, 2019
Kentucky
I recently replaced my old single speed pump with a new Intelliflo VS (011028). I also rebuilt my manifold, adding in 3 Jandy Neverlubes to replace the existing ball valves. The pump seems to prime ok and I am getting good flow (~20gpm at 1800 rpm or ~60gpm at 2800 via flowviz), but I have some bubbles in the top of the pump (see below). All plumbing is 1.5", with a 2" input to pump (11" run) and 2" output that reduces back to 1.5" before the sand filter. The bubbles don't seem to grow over time.
Should I be concerned or is this normal?

pump 2.jpg

pump 4.jpg

Here is the manifold...
return manifold.jpg

I appreciate the assistance.

Are the bubble size increasing? Is there air coming out of the returns?

My VS looks about the same. There is always a bit of a bubble. My VS runs at 1400-1600 rpm most of the time.

The way you check a VS is stop it overnight take a pic of the bubble left after it sits still for a few min or measure across the lid and check 12 to 24 hrs later with pimp off the whole time. If its same no issue. When it primes first run of the day it should clear out and bubbles will grow with the longer it runs. I get a half dollar after a full days run at 1200rpms on mine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.