Do I have a leak?

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
Howdy folks. Not sure to what level of detail I went into regarding our pool build story last year, but lets say it was not a good time.

Cutting to the chase, one of the bigger issues we had was that our decking was poured and stamped with the wrong pattern. The builder stood behind their product and jackhammered it out and re-poured, ensuring that the proper stamp was done the 2nd time. The only issue was that no pressure test was done before the new pour. After we kept losing water they blamed evaporation, but I was very steadfast in my belief that it had to be a leak due to the amount of loss. They agreed to send in a leak detection company, and it turned out that we had a leak. They were able to access and repair it by digging in from the side (no decking destroyed). My issue is that even after that repair our water level seems to drop noticeably each day if the pumps are running.

Recent example, here in Dallas it is mid 60's during the day, and low 50s at night. Not a huge swing in temp. I topped off the pool last night and came home today to find it 5/8" low (after only 3 hours of pump run time). Water temp is 62ish. Can I lose 5/8" from evaporation in mild temps?

I know I can do a bucket test to see what I am losing via evaporation, but if I leave the pumps off, I lose no water. If I run the pumps, I lose some each day. Seem like a leak or evaporation?

As always, thanks for the help.

Howdy folks. Not sure to what level of detail I went into regarding our pool build story last year, but lets say it was not a good time.

Recent example, here in Dallas it is mid 60's during the day, and low 50s at night. Not a huge swing in temp. I topped off the pool last night and came home today to find it 5/8" low (after only 3 hours of pump run time). Water temp is 62ish. Can I lose 5/8" from evaporation in mild temps?

I know I can do a bucket test to see what I am losing via evaporation, but if I leave the pumps off, I lose no water. If I run the pumps, I lose some each day. Seem like a leak or evaporation?

As always, thanks for the help.

I live in Dallas as well and after adding water the day before yesterday, I'm having to do it again tonight...the constant wind and sunshine does cause a degree of evaporation to occur. I'd say mine dropped about an inch in those two days.

My guess is yours is evaporation as well.

Gonna cause some more this weekend as I'm firing up the heater Tomorrow and going to enjoy the rest of Spring Break!

Take care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I can do a bucket test to see what I am losing via evaporation
You may be misunderstanding the bucket test. It purpose is to confirm a leak........not how much evaporation has taken place.

It tests the difference of pool water drop (evap and any leak) from the bucket (evap only).

Does that make sense?

I'm in Dallas are as well. I have add water every 7 to 10 days. I've found that the wind is the main culprit. Also, I've noticed that running the water features causes the water to evaporate a little faster.

I have a solar cover that all but eliminates evaporation, but I haven't had it on in a few weeks as I am trying to burn off some chlorine.

You may be misunderstanding the bucket test. It purpose is to confirm a leak........not how much evaporation has taken place.

It tests the difference of pool water drop (evap and any leak) from the bucket (evap only).

Does that make sense?

Yes, I fully understand it's purpose. It would tell me if the pool was losing more than the bucket, where the bucket was only losing water level due to evaporation.

Sounds like its evaporation from wind and sun, but i'm gonna to test it to be sure.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.