Do CCs eventually go away if you keep FC at level?

sws1

Aug 13, 2010
Neptune City, NJ
I was getting some low CC readings, despite having spotless water. So I SLAMed it a few days ago. Had my FC in the 20-25 range, and was able to make both the CC go to 0, and my overnight use of FC to be 0.

So I let FC drop back down to the 4-8 range, where it should be for CYA of 50. But last night, the pool consumed almost an entire gallon of liquid chlorine. And CCs are now around 3-4.

The ONLY thing that could have changed is all the tree pollen / droppings from all the spring trees around the yard.

Q: Assuming the trees will soon stop dropping their stuff, will the CCs eventually go away with "normal" FC? Or will I need to periodically SLAM to get them to go away? Adding 2 gallons of chlorine per day does not thrill me for an entire season, but hoping that'll slow down.

Q2: Am I over-stressing the indication of CCs, given the water is spotless, and I am out skimming every 2 hours to pick up all the little pieces?

Even though you passed an OCLT earlier and your water is crystal, I suspect you may have something growing in a hiding spot somewhere. It's just not normal for a pool to go through that much chlorine in one night, or for the CCs to spike like that high. But let me ask this ... what brand/type of chlorine did you use? Was it liquid pool chlorine, or some local laundry bleach? Nothing scented or splashless I hope? No Clorox brand right?

Even though you passed an OCLT earlier and your water is crystal, I suspect you may have something growing in a hiding spot somewhere. It's just not normal for a pool to go through that much chlorine in one night, or for the CCs to spike like that high. But let me ask this ... what brand/type of chlorine did you use? Was it liquid pool chlorine, or some local laundry bleach? Nothing scented or splashless I hope? No Clorox brand right?

It was 12% liquid shock I bought at the pool store.

Could there be algae up in the DE filter? I completed cleaned it out last week before I did the SLAM. So it'd have to be algae that was sucked up into a clean filter.

When I look in the skimmer to clean out all the tree debris, it often has some foam, as if the chlorine is eating away at all the stuff that was picked up.

Filters can’t hold living algae if the chlorine levels are above minimum. Do you have any light niches? Check the ladders, back of weir door, etc.?

Can you post full test results?

I think of the following in your situation:
- FC is eliminating residual product from winter (i.e antifreeze, algaecide, etc). But it's odd you passed the first OCLT unless something about the first OCLT (testing itself) was incorrect.
- Algae behind a light, in hollow steps, or in the drain?
- I doubt the filter is the issue since you just opened and cleaned it.

I think of the following in your situation:
- FC is eliminating residual product from winter (i.e antifreeze, algaecide, etc). But it's odd you passed the first OCLT unless something about the first OCLT (testing itself) was incorrect.
- Algae behind a light, in hollow steps, or in the drain?
- I doubt the filter is the issue since you just opened and cleaned it.

Does that mean I would need to SLAM again? Or would keeping FC in the right range eventually remove the CCs?

It's certainly a possibility that my first OCLT wasn't done properly. After all, one of my chems was expired.

Have you checked the CYA level recently? That’s holding right? You still have some FC after adding and testing in a bit (it’s not 0)? Any kids or pets that use the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you know some reagents may be a bit old and you have a new batch coming, I would wait. Just continue to maintain as best as you can the proper TFP levels for your pool. No sense chasing our tails right now. Once you get your new reagents, carefullly do a new Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and post all of those numbers. In the meantime, continue to brush and inspect al areas of the pool just to be safe. The debris getting in the water might be a small factor, especially if it's allowed to sit and breakdown over time. But if it's removed fairly quickly, I'm not so sure that's a major player yet either. But new reagents should help.

Reactions: IceShadow
Have you checked the CYA level recently? That’s holding right? You still have some FC after adding and testing in a bit (it’s not 0)? Any kids or pets that use the pool?

Yes - CYA is staying at 50. My TA is too high at 200 because the pool opening company overdid it. I've been trying to drop it, but only started that yesterday. PH is around 7.4 as of this morning.

I had a few people swim in it the other day, but not for too long. That been it so far this year.

Since you know some reagents may be a bit old and you have a new batch coming, I would wait. Just continue to maintain as best as you can the proper TFP levels for your pool. No sense chasing our tails right now. Once you get your new reagents, carefullly do a new Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and post all of those numbers. In the meantime, continue to brush and inspect al areas of the pool just to be safe. The debris getting in the water might be a small factor, especially if it's allowed to sit and breakdown over time. But if it's removed fairly quickly, I'm not so sure that's a major player yet either. But new reagents should help.

I DID get the new reagents. I used them for first time last night and this morning, which is why I was surprised that my OCLT already changed.

I will re-do tonight and tomorrow and post results.

Afternoon update.

I had put a full gallon of 12% in this morning. At the FC is even lower than it was this morning. Current reading was ~4.5 for FC and a CC of 7 or 8. I'm going the wrong direction.

So I decided to SLAM the pool again, and try to keep FC at 20 to the CC drops.

Interestingly enough...my property is along side a very large, meandering lake. I just happened to look over the fence down to the lake water, and in just the past 3 days, the lake water went from clear, albeit somewhat cloudy, to looking like a toxic cesspool. There is scum all over the water everywhere. The same tree crud dropping in my pool also drops in the lake. If they are related, then it seems I might be battling the trees all summer (unless they stop dropping so much stuff).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.