Do any pool builders do out of state builds?

nobueno

Silver Supporter
Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
I'm seeing a lot of estimates for pools that are less than half what we've been getting. I could pay a builder 20k more than they usually get to cover travel and expenses and I'd still come out far ahead. Is this something that any builders ever consider? Obviously not going to happen w/ the current restrictions but I'm having a hard time stomaching paying 100k just to get a 16x40 pool.

A Pool Builder uses local subcontractors. They don't have their own crews to do rebar or gunite or plaster or plumbing or electrical. An out of town builder does not have relationships with the local contractors. It is likely your cost will turn out to be as much or more with most of the cost going to the same contractors.

Start planning an Owner Build and calling around to contractors for estimates. OB's usually save about 30%. Read the OB stuff in ...

Reactions: tim5055
Shop around. That is a lot to invest in a pool in my opinion. If all PB are giving you similar quotes then you can consider removing some things like a spa. I go quotes that varied sometimes by 20k for the same pool but most of them were in a very similar ball range.

Shop around. That is a lot to invest in a pool in my opinion. If all PB are giving you similar quotes then you can consider removing some things like a spa. I go quotes that varied sometimes by 20k for the same pool but most of them were in a very similar ball range.

I've called every pool builder (that has great reviews) in the area. There's almost nothing to take out. It's a 16x40 fiberglass pool. No diving board, no slide, bare minimum concrete surround. Has an autocover but our county requires them. Cheapest vinyl came in at $86k. We could save $10k by getting one that is 10' x 21' but I'm not going to pay $76k for one that small.

Do you have a spa? I’m in FL and paid 42k for a gunite pool 14x28. No spa only basic decking and a bubbler as the only water feature. It’s a huge investment and one you should think about very well before diving in.
If you only get a few months out of the year, taxes go up, and makes your home hard to resell, you may want to take that into consideration.

Actually, there are a couple of fiberglass pool manufacturers that do have travelling crews, nationwide, and they do undercut the local builders substantially. Don't know about the details (such as licensing requirements) but search on this forum for more details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.