Do any of these build a map of the pool?

LearningAboutPools

Jul 4, 2021
Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Household floor vacuums offer the ability to scan and build a map of the house.

I have not seen this feature in any of the pool cleaning robots.

Do any of them offer this? It seems like something that would be exceptionally useful to avoid missing areas, etc.

Short answer - NO.

Longer answer - most robots manufacturers like to market their products as “smart” giving you the impression that they are doing something technologically advanced but they all really operate on the same principle - random walk process. Most robots simply move in preprogrammed distances and execute equivalent number of CW and CCW turns. Some use feedback on the motor power supply to determine if they are climbing up a wall or encountering an object. But their primary motion is all random walk.

Summary - Don’t believe the hype.

There was supposed to be a Maytronics iO line introduced that has lidar. It hasn’t happened yet so likely there’s been some troubles preventing its debut. I don’t believe there are any other pool cleaners currently that have lidar.

There was supposed to be a Maytronics iO line introduced that has lidar. It hasn’t happened yet so likely there’s been some troubles preventing its debut. I don’t believe there are any other pool cleaners currently that have lidar.

Will they give you the option to include torpedoes and flamethrowers too 🤷‍♂️

man laser GIF

Ultrasonic range finding would be easier and it can determine distance, shape of object and even if the robot is near the water surface (depth). However, the necessary equipment to do that along with the additional programming and associated electronics could easily drive the price of a robot hundreds of dollars higher. Maytronics’ highest end robot is already pushing $1700 so it would be insane to pay over $2000 for a pool cleaner. I don’t care how “awesome” the technology is, I ain’t stupid enough to pay that much money for what is essentially a vacuum cleaner …

Reactions: Mdragger88
My Polaris has a Smart Scan function for mapping, but doubt its technology is much in doing it, if at all and just hype. But, for all that, even a $300 floor vacuum robot can find home and go there. For all this thing cost, and I have to drive it to its final destination side of pool facing the wall. You'd think it could at least come to where it was put in or come to side controller sits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.