Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
So for the first couple years, we were very frustrated by spending $$$ on umbrella products that barely made it through one season. No matter how much they "claimed" the product was rough & tough, after one year either the metal stand became bent/broken, and/or the shade material become tattered. Nothing would stay in-place with a little wind. Then it just looked like trash around the pool. So I decided to make my own.

The first image shows the basic parts required. I got everything from a local big box store (HD) for something like $15 or so (excluding the umbrella of course).

The next 3 images are just close-ups of it all put together.

So basically, I got the plastic planter (with drain tray) and turned it upside down. I did that on a piece of scrap plywood since I would later be filling it with concrete like a big mud pie. Then I cut a circle out of the top (used to be the bottom) so that I had room for the PVC pipe (1.5 inches x 2 ft long I believe) in the middle of the opening and room to pour Quickrete around the pipe. So I carefully filled the upside-down planter (with PVC in the center) with the Quickrete. I made sure I was happy with the PVC in the middle and centered, then let it dry. The next day, I "creatively" moved that heavy planter to its new home poolside. I tool the planter drip tray, flipped it upside down over the PVC (after cutting a hole in it as well) and it serves as a tray for keys, glasses, etc. A small clamp ring serves to keep it from moving. I haven't done it yet, but I could paint the stand and PVC any color I want. Then I simply purchased a nice umbrella and it slips right into the PVC tube. DONE! It's not going anywhere. When pool season is over, or a bad storm is coming, I simply life the umbrella out of the stand to somewhere safe.

So now we have something nice & reliable. Might come in handy for some of you.

Hard to really see in this pic, but two of those stands are on each end. The ridiculous store product is in the middle about to fall apart. Molly is keeping a close eye on things.

And a final pic ....

Pat how did you keep the concrete from oozing out the bottom when filling?
Just like when playing with mud or sand castles as a kid, the Quickrete stayed in the planter. A little moisture might seep out if the batch was too wet, but the concrete pretty-much stayed contained ... (ha ha) .... in the container.

You changed that pot fountain, did it break?
It was nice looking, but after a while it became a pain to manage. Water could get stale between seasons, and the pot would start to deteriorate after a while. Later I found that I got more use out of that water stub-out by just keeping it simple. I can turn the PVC fitting around an use it as a quick way to lower water, or leave a T-fitting and have a nice fountain spray that everyone seems to like a lot. The fountain comes-in handy to lower the water temp in Jul-Sep as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks really nice.
Have you had any trouble with the wind lifting the umbrella out of the stand? When we have not bolted ours in the stand, the wind gets it. Once it lifted it up almost onto the bungalow roof. The another time one was lifted part way out of the stand, fell over and shattered the glass patio table. Needless to say, no more glass patio tables and we always bolt the umbrella in the stand.

Have you had any trouble with the wind lifting the umbrella out of the stand?
While they are collapsed - no. Once I forgot to close an umbrella and we had a strong uplifting wind grab one. That was entertaining. I might drill-through the posts and make a quick release pin type secure hold. As for the stands though, they don't budge.

Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.