Diy tanning ledge over Intex Rectangular AGP

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
Just looking for expert opinions/advice on this idea I've engineered in my head.... One of my biggest wants is a tanning ledge, but we have an intex, so there's that. I came across this pic of a ledge on an inground pool & it got me to thinking, I can do this. And by I, I mean I can convince someone to do this for me. The pic I saw was a tanning ledge waterfall that was probably a good 3 or 4 feet above the pool, now I'm not trying to go to that extreme.
I have all of the plumbing down, but here's the gist of it... T off of the current output & put a valve to where I can switch from using the ledge or just the plain output that's in the pool. Drill holes along a long piece of pvc that's capped off on one end to be attached to the back of this 'ledge platform' to feed the water onto the ledge. Haven't given a lot of thought to what kind of slope I'm wanting, I'm thinking just a slight slope so that it will flow slowly & still hold some water. Also, not really positive on what my equipment could do with this. If I recall correctly, I think I intentionally overshot what my equipment could handle compared to what my pool actually is.
My biggest concern is the actual platform. I'm thinking, build it up, maybe 8 inches to a foot higher than the deck & pool, but I'm not really sure what I can use. My first thought was to build a box & tile it, but my dad said no, since it's coming off the deck, it will move some & that would crack any tile work, which makes sense. So now I'm thinking build the semi box with deck boards & maybe some plywood on the bottom to reinforce the platform, then line it with plexiglass, seal the seams(still unsure about what to use for that, just caulk seems a little weak), then paint it with some pool paint. I had considered putting a gorilla pad or pool liner in it, but I was concerned about tearing since we'll have lawn chairs on it, kids, possibly the pups.
I'm planning to put this on one of the long sides of the pool, to avoid any of the splashing from the waterfall to hit any of the metal corners. Maybe 16 ft long by 8 ft wide, with an overlap of maybe 6 inches.
I've seen where several people have made a makeshift platform to put in the pool, but I don't love the look of those and I really didn't want to take up any of the pool space with it. I absolutely heart all of that swimming space.
Thoughts? Advice? Ideas?

How big do you want this to be? Have you ever thought of getting one of these and just T off the main water supply by adding a fitting at the top back side and another fitting on the low front side to spill over into the main pool?

How big do you want this to be? Have you ever thought of getting one of these and just T off the main water supply by adding a fitting at the top back side and another fitting on the low front side to spill over into the main pool?
I’m thinking in the range of 16x8 foot, but that’s way too deep. I’m talking just a ledge, maybe 6 inches of water, if even that. That would be 2.5 feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.