DIY Solar Heater

Jan 31, 2008
Malaysia
I am thinking of building my own solar heater using copper tubing as we do not have the type of DIY solar heater kits that is available on your market. Can anybody advice on the following?

1) what are the consequences of 4000 - 4500 ppm salt against the copper tubing?
2) anybody knows of any links to any website on the design and construction of such heater?

I intend to install the panel and tank on top of the roof and have my pump do the circulation between heater tank and pool water. Any suggestions willbe most appreciated.

Thanks.

Rather than copper, I'd use some black plastic tubing that is stabilized against UV damage. Copper is probably better when trying to get really hot water (>110 degrees, for example), but the plastic is cheaper so you can better afford to create more surface area with it.

Panels from companies like FAFCO aren't very expensive, so it's worth looking into the commercially available options to compare costs against any homemade ideas.

Thanks guys for the respond.

Solar panel, I have to import from USA or nearest would be Australia. The only UV staiblized plastic would be poly pipe which is quite thick (high pressure). How would such plastic withstand temp in excess of 95 F whole year round in term of UV protection? My current water temp is 80F only (under shed) and I only intend to raise the temp another 5-6 F.

FYI, copper pipes prices ranges from a USD a ft for 3/8".

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.