DIY solar heater

Why does everyone continue to trash these folks whom are working hard on a project, something they did on their own, etc. If they found something that works for them, that's great! But continuing to constantly trash, bash, and run them down with opinions is getting really old and just plain rude.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to spit it out. And I am NOT targeting anyone specific either, just a general overview.

I also started with the black pipe, and it worked decently, and heck of a lot cheaper than the panels. After 2 years, we got a bigger pool and then decided to get the panels. Ended up being $600 Cdn, and somedays they are a real pain due to the leaks they spring in the tubes. I have 2 Enersol, and 2 Sunquest panels, and they both spring leaks. Trying to patch these is difficult as finding a glue that will work well with polypropylene. So if one wants to test the waters on the cheap, then doing the black hose is a good starting point until they decide to go better/bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Glad it works for you.
Lol... agreed...if it works it works... some people just cannot see past the numbers... some of us build these for next to nothing...

Funny that the only people in this thread providing any kind of actual data are the Skeptics. The one member above who did measurements and calculations came up with roughly the same amount of BTUs per day as in my calculation.

Anybody else care to measure the inlet and Outlet temperatures of their DIY solar systems with flow rates included?

People come onto TFP believing in all kinds of pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo about alternate sanitizers, miracle algae cures, cancer causing fc levels and the like and they get corrected and educated everytime. This is because TFP tries to operate based on scientific facts and evidence.

It's the same when a black hose DIYer comes on making ignorant and outlandish claims about their panels. It's physics and not chemistry but it gets corrected everytime. For the same reasons.

I, for one, am glad TFP doesn't promulgate ignorance and misinformation. I think most people are genuinely glad there are experts willing to help set them straight. That's what sets TFP apart from the other sites.

As an academic exercise, it was helpful looking at the overall gain of my pool each day from all heat input sources: direct sun on the pool, ambient air temp, solar heater gains, lost body heat from swimmers and probably even some minuscule amount of heat from the pump. Realizing the daily gains I see amount to well over 100,000 btu/day there is no way my solar collector puts out that. I'd need something 5 times the size to come close to a ten degree gain daily from a solar collector alone. Knowing the numbers let me see just HOW effective it is.

That's said, the roughly 20k BTU/day that I gain from the collector is something and does give my pool a slight boost. Yes, I lose anywhere from 2-6 degrees each night even with a cover. On cold nights (closer to 8-10 degree loss) I've taken to putting foam floor mats I happen to have on top of the cover to further aid in insulating the pool--it does help retain more heat than without.

The DIY solar rings from hula hoops and black plastic were another experiment. It's harder (near impossible) to accurately measure the effectiveness of these, but it was an exercise and something the kids enjoyed doing.

Like all things I feel it's important to observe the truth. Knowing what a solar collector can put out lets you make an informed decision on whether the exercise is worth your time and $ for the gains.

For my tiny pool a 20% increase in the heat my pool sees each day (avg) is worth it if the pool is swimmable more often, especially for a few dollars and hours invested. When we upgrade in a few years I will re-evaluate if I can build a collector effective enough for a larger water volume to justify the expense. Knowing me I probably will[emoji6]

Onward I go to my next futile activity in the pursuit of knowledge...[emoji4]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.