DIY Smart Timer for 2 Speed Pump

CCP134

Feb 8, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Hi everyone, I’ve gotten a ton of value from this forum so I wanted to give a little something back. I didn’t see an example of this on the forum during my research so I hope this can help someone else.

Goal: Create a smart timer for a 2 speed pool pump.
Short answer: follow the great diagram on http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-2-speed-pump.html.

List of parts I used:
Schneider Electric/Magnecraft 199AX-14 Relay
Packard C240B Contactor 2 Pole 40 Amps 120 Coil Voltage
GE Z-Wave Toggle Switch (1 switch for on/off; 1 switch for high/low)
Altelix 14x11x5 Weatherproof Enclosure

My first step was to replace the old Hayward Super II Pump that broke with a new Nidec US Motors 2speed pump. Buying this pump from a local industrial motor shop saved me hundreds of dollars compared to the pool stores or online pool motor suppliers. With basic online instructions, it was a straightforward replacement. Note: I considered a Variable Speed pump but I decided I could save so much up front cost on a 2 speed pump that it would take too long to make up the higher cost of the variable speed pump in the small incremental savings from higher efficiency (Source)

My second step was to create a smart timer that would replace my broken Intermatic PF1222T. I spent far too long researching online even though I found waterheatertimer.org’s diagram early in my research. Eventually I purchased the parts, wired them up according to the diagram, and connected the whole thing to my pump. It worked on the first try! I couldn’t believe it. I thought for sure that there would be an electrical issue that would take me a long time to debug but it all worked and it has been working for over a month now. It is great to control my pool pump from my phone, through Samsung SmartThings hub, along with all my other smart home things. I’m no longer restricted to an on/off mechanical timer and I can program it to react to the weather (freeze, rain, etc).

I highly recommend this project to anyone that wants to have more control over your pump and higher efficiency but doesn’t want to pay the extremely high prices that the pool companies/brands charge for the same functional technology. Pictures attached. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• DIY Smart Timer for 2speed Pump.jpg
    DIY Smart Timer for 2speed Pump.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3884-open-frame-relay-7.jpg
    IMG_3884-open-frame-relay-7.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 273
Thank you so much for sharing this! Exactly the info I'll need when I am ready to smart enable my pool. I don't need full automation, but someday would like to remotely control my pump speed. Add in the ability to turn my heater on/off and that is my perfect set up.

Someday in the future i might have some questions.

Thanks again for sharing!

That is great! Thanks for posting.

How would you have to alter it to control a 240v pump?

Also, I'm looking to use a Partical Proton (wifi enabled Arduino) and some small relays to act as control, so I would need to adapt accordingly.

Hi El Duderino,

My setup was for a 240V pump and that is a reason why I needed to use the contactor and relay that would serve as the 240V switches while the GE Smart switches are run off of 120V and tell the contactor and relay when to switch. If it was a 120V pump, you could probably find smart switches that would control it directly and eliminate the contactor and relay, but you would have to double check the current rating of those switches. Thanks.

Nice job CCP...anyway to reconfigure this to add 2 more relays to make it a 4 switch system w timer and remote capability? And while you're at it, how about adding in the capability of turning on a gas heater? Heck, you might as well devise your own controller panel that could control any set of equipment !!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.