DIY pool install looking for equipment advice

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Im installing a 15x32 (might be 14x30) fiberglass pool in about 2 months, trying to get some advice on pool equipment brands, sizes, and plumbing layouts. From what Ive read returns and skimmers are the more the merrier, Im thinking 2 skimmers and 3 returns, pool depth is gonna be 6'. trying to keep a tight budget and get a decent deal on everything, but dont wanna regret not adding something worth it. learning about SWG and pool cleaning/vacuums, any advice info is much appreciated, esp what you would do again or do differently.......thanks in advance

From what Ive read returns and skimmers are the more the merrier
Returns, maybe but with skimmers, the more you have the higher the flow rate you need to make them work and the higher the energy costs. So I would not put in a second skimmer unless you tend to get wind from two alternating opposite directions. Otherwise, one of the skimmers might just be a waste although you could plug it if you don't need it.

I would definitely get a SWG with full automation again as well as a self powered robot cleaner. Both make maintenance very easy. I would also get a two speed or variable speed pump for energy savings. Which depends on your budget but since it is a new pool, the upgrade isn't that much considering what you will sink into the rest of the pool.

Go 2-speed Pentair...don't get Hayward.. I've had 3 pumps in 2.5yrs..and remember, no VSP is worth the savings if it breaks all the time and you are worrying about it.

When you get a pool, you make a commitment, so be prepared to put some skin in the game. the TFP method far exceeds what else is out there...more later

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.