DIY/Owner Built Pool - NC

Famous87

Aug 3, 2021
Charlotte
Hello, I'm a home owner currently into construction on a 14'x28' salt water gunite pool. I thought I'd create a thread to share how I got to this stage of the build and hopefully get some constructive feedback before I get too far into the build. Below is a list of the equipment specs I plan to use/have already ordered. Let me know what you think!

Construction Details:
- Myself and a friend(who happens to be really good with a skid steer) dug the pool over two days. $1,400 for skid steer and excavator delivered with fuel.
- Due to my lack of skill and first time using an excavator there was a lot of dirt left in the hole. I used a small tiller to break up the dirt and a plate tamp to flatten everything.
- In hindsight I could have saved myself a TON of cleanup to the walls and bottom of the pool had I sub'd the digging out.
- I used #78 rock for the base of the pool.
- The fence around the entire back yard does not appear to meet ANSI requirements. Once the concrete is in I will focus on removing the existing horizontal boards and replacing with 5/4"x6" horizontal boards with a 1/4" gap.

Features:
- Sun shelf
- Deep end seating shelf
- Waterfalls
- Shallow end ranges from 3'-6" - 4'-2"
- Deep end = 5ft.

Construction:
Gunite
#4 rebar
Hayward main drains
Hayward skimmer
Natural wonders 36" waterfall

Equipment:
Pump: Pentair SuperFlo VS
Filter: Pentair 75 SF cartridge filter
Controls: Pentair EasyTouch with wireless controller
Salt Cell: Pentair IC20
Lights: Pentair MicroBrite White

What's Next:
- Fix the form board at the skimmer that I moved last minute.
- Rebar has been delivered and a bender reserved for the next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.JPEG
    IMG_3898.JPEG
    895.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4524.JPEG
    IMG_4524.JPEG
    924.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4532.JPEG
    IMG_4532.JPEG
    931.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4540.JPEG
    IMG_4540.JPEG
    913.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4571.JPEG
    IMG_4571.JPEG
    722.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4631.JPEG
    IMG_4631.JPEG
    796.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4748.JPEG
    IMG_4748.JPEG
    902.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4826.JPEG
    IMG_4826.JPEG
    892.8 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to TFP :)

For equipment, get the biggest filter you can afford but at least a 320 sq ft, 75 is to little, you will be cleaning it all the time.. I clean my 320 once a year with 15k gallon pool..

The SWG, get at least a 30k but a 45k would work better... that IC20 will make you run your pump almost 24/7 to make chlorine for your 13k to 15k gallon pool.. I run my SJ45 about 6 to 10 hours a day depending on the season.. :)

Are you contracting out the gunnite shot and smoothing? I'm curious what warranty and how willing the contractor was to work with owner/builder, doing your own rebar. Curious on cost, too

Welcome to TFP :)

For equipment, get the biggest filter you can afford but at least a 320 sq ft, 75 is to little, you will be cleaning it all the time.. I clean my 320 once a year with 15k gallon pool..

The SWG, get at least a 30k but a 45k would work better... that IC20 will make you run your pump almost 24/7 to make chlorine for your 13k to 15k gallon pool.. I run my SJ45 about 6 to 10 hours a day depending on the season.. :)
Thanks for the info!

Are you contracting out the gunnite shot and smoothing? I'm curious what warranty and how willing the contractor was to work with owner/builder, doing your own rebar. Curious on cost, too
Yes, I'm contracting that out. When I spoke to the contractor they did not seem concerned that I was a homeowner DIY'er. I'm glad you brought this up though - I'll be asking them about this when I schedule them.

As for cost, they quoted $268/yard.

Reactions: ShadyPool
Regarding your pump selection: my understanding is the SuperFlo pump does not integrate w/ the EasyTouch. The IntelliFlo does. I hope someone w/ more experience than me chimes in.

Regarding your pump selection: my understanding is the SuperFlo pump does not integrate w/ the EasyTouch. The IntelliFlo does. I hope someone w/ more experience than me chimes
I don’t have this answer either but the pump and filter are the literal backbone of the whole operation which is costing you (many) dozens of thousands of dollars. While the Superflo is no slouch, Treat yo self with the gold standard Intelliflo. If the whole build needs to save the small difference in price, shave 1/2 inch off the patio.

I secured my own through all the shortage nonsense before even signing my build contract. I feel *that* strongly about the Intelliflo after having its sister/clone for 8.5 years.

Reactions: Sean ATX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.