Diy liquid chlorine pump

Well, the first dosing cycle went off without a hitch! I'm pumping straight from the jug for now, so I can somewhat judge the amount administered. I ran it for one hour, and it appears to have pumped a little over half a gallon. Which matches up pretty well with the specs reported on the pump. No leaks that I can see. I want to set up a catch basin under the pump in case there is ever a leak at the pump head, and I'll get to that soon.

Reactions: GDN
Here's what I use. 15 gallon, I think I got from US Plastics. I have a float inside on some fishing line with a weight outside so I can see the level. I put 3 gallons in it once a week. It's on a covered porch I can see through a garage Window.IMG_20200602_150208.jpg

Here's what I use. 15 gallon, I think I got from US Plastics. I have a float inside on some fishing line with a weight outside so I can see the level. I put 3 gallons in it once a week. It's on a covered porch I can see through a garage Window.View attachment 143945
Isn't that clever. You may win the Internet today with that guage. Very handy. Mine has a handle on top so I can lift quickly to know if I'm nearing empty and I've got about a 3" inch screw in lid on top too. So when it is getting low I'm able to unscrew the lid and look in if I want to know exactly where it is. Truly if I can lift it easily, I just know it is time to add 6 more gallons. Colder months I only keep a couple of gallons in it.

Here's what I use. 15 gallon, I think I got from US Plastics. I have a float inside on some fishing line with a weight outside so I can see the level. I put 3 gallons in it once a week. It's on a covered porch I can see through a garage Window.View attachment 143945
I've thought about doing something like that. I've shopped US plastics in the past for a tank for my methanol injection system.

At the moment I'm really thinking I'm just going to use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that I drill a hole into for the tubing. I think I've decided to calibrate my dosing based off time instead not watching the quantity dispensed. I have verified that it dispenses approximately half a gallon an hour, so I should be able to figure on how many days I get to a bucket full.

I've started with one hour a day, and will use my testing to see if that maintains the approximately 8-10 ppm I want to keep, overshoots that, or undershoots. I can always disable it for a day or so to let the levels drop, or manually dose as I have been directly from a jug into the pool.

As to preventing someone from installing a Frog bac pac, I don't see why I can't find a short length of chain with a link large enough to slip around my injection quill, and loop it around the bottom of the frog cartridge and lock back to itself. Sort of like a bike chain.

It would be easily defeatable by unscrewing the injection quill, but I don't think it has to be impenetrable. It just has to make someone say "Hmm, maybe I shouldn't do that." I'll also fashion a warning label to put on the lid.

I bought the same pump on ebay a few weeks ago. The "weight" was also painted white so we may have purchased from the same seller. I bought a five gallon bucket and a spin on lid to use for Chlorine. Drilled a small hole at the top of the bucket on the side for the tube...this allows easy removal of the cover. I haven't used it much yet as I'm using pucks to get my CYA up. My numbers match yours...about an ounce per minute of pump operation.

One challenge I expect to face is different chlorine needs based on whether we have the cover on the pool as it of course consumes much less chlorine when covered.

We don't cover ours, so that won't be an issue for us. And that's exactly how I'm running mine right now. Spin on lid with a hole drilled in it left over from some pool chemicals. Although it is a 3.5 gal bucket, and I want to upgrade to a 5. If my chlorine use doesn't go up as it gets hotter, 3.5 gal would be fine.

My goal is to be able to run it 5 days with us away if necessary.

I tested the pool last night about an hour after the chlorine pump had finished its cycle. There was a lot of swimming this past weekend. The FC level was at 8 when I installed the pump and quit with the manual dosing. My goal is to maintain around 8, and it tested and 9 last night. Im running it 1 hour a day with 10% in the bucket currently. I like it!

Reactions: GDN
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.