DIY concrete and block pool attempt

rstephenson

Jun 26, 2019
Texas
The wife decided that she wanted a plunge pool (soaking pool, spool, etc.)
I may or may not have been drinking whiskey when i told her i could just build one :oops::rolleyes:

We decided on a rather simple and basic design............. and i started digging..... because that's all there is to it, right ?
Pool dimensions (water) will be 8.5 ft x 13 ft x 4 ft depth. Steps, bench, and a small sunning deck. Should be a bit under 4000 gallons.

so far, i've dug a hole,,,,, poured a concrete slab for the floor,,,, and am starting on the walls. Walls will be mortared with vertical and horizontal rebar.

Intentions are to have 1 skimmer with no other drains. Several returns because we will use one for an automatic cleaner and may have a couple water sprayers to help cool the water if needed.
Prefer to do salt water, cartridge filter and electric heat pump heater.
Looking into some type of skimcoat on the blocks and using an epoxy or rubberized pool paint.
Just learned about bonding an inground pool so that will be getting figured out also.
Undecided about a pool light at this time.

Suggestions on equipment, techniques, materials, etc will be appreciated.

I'm sure i've already made mistakes and will make more but like my buddy says, "There are talkers, and there are doers". At least i'll have some stories to tell

I'll also try to figure out how to post pictures

Anecdotal reports here on the forum give painted pool walls about 3 years lifespan on average.....regardless of the hype from manufacturers. If that's good enough longevity for you, then go for it.

What finish are you considering for the pool floor?

I would also suggest a dedicated suction line for a suction side manual vacuum. It will clean that pool perfectly in about five minutes and you won't have to cough up big bucks for a cleaner.

Was hoping the paint would last at least 5. I've heard of it lasting 8 BUT i believe real life examples like i can find here. I'll have to talk to the boss and get her opinion. (i'll be the one draining and painting though)

The floor is pretty smooth the way it is now. I've considered putting a skim coat of a self leveler. Especially if i beat it up during construction.

Very good suggestion about the vacuum line. It IS a small pool and would not take long at all ! Was trying to spoil the wife a little but she may like the idea of saving some money.

Hi @rstephenson, how is your pool project going?
I am about to start the same kind of pool (13 (or 16) X 9 X 4 ) at the end of the summer. I plan to contract the digging and hauling of the extra dirt. Do you have some pictures? I really would love to see them.

What did you do to the walls? mortar? and then paint of top? -- same for the floor?

All the best

Last edited:
Agree on not painting the pool. Make sure you pin the walls to the slab and grout all the block with rebar vertical too. After all this work why not just plaster the pool? The money spent is peanuts they will be done in an hour amd will outlast pool paint 4 to 5 times over. Whats yout time amd aggrevation worth? I'd tile it before painting it

Thanks Jimmy, I have not found definite information on the type of plaster to use... when I look, I find conflicting views and always saying that plaster should be applied professionally.
Is plaster something I can apply myself? do you have a (reliable) link where I can educate myself and where it tells me what to use and how to apply it?
Thanks again.

Anecdotal reports here on the forum give painted pool walls about 3 years lifespan on average.....regardless of the hype from manufacturers. If that's good enough longevity for you, then go for it.

What finish are you considering for the pool floor?

I would also suggest a dedicated suction line for a suction side manual vacuum. It will clean that pool perfectly in about five minutes and you won't have to cough up big bucks for a cleaner.
Hi Duraeigh,
saw you pool build pics -- as everyone else said amazing! -- where did you buy your liner? and given that sometime has passed, have you had to replace them yet?
Thanks.

Liner is still fine. It is totally submerged so there is no UV degradation. Custom liner purchased from a place in California no longer in business but many places to get a custom liner

Thanks, I think I am going with the liner. I was looking at your pool pics again. I don't see any mention regarding hydro-static pressure. have you emptied your pool?. You mentioned that you filled it up with pond water, is the pond at the same level of the pool?
while my pool is a lot smaller 16X9X4 I am worried about the pressure build-up when I have to change the liner in a few years (thus having to empty the pool)
Am I overreacting/overthinking?

The structure I made to go in the ground was so overbuilt it could just as easily have been an AG pool. Lot's of concrete and lots of rebar. emptied the pool twice without worry. and the water table is pretty low there anyway.

Water was pushed up about 25 vertical feet from the pond. Easy to do if you push it and don't try to pull it.

Your overthinking the hydrostatic pressure. Just build a good, solid structure and enjoy it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.