Diving Boards and Slides in SoCal

MouseMan54

May 18, 2016
Riverside, CA
Hi, this question has been in my conversations lately.

My current pool has a 9.5' deep end with a diving board and a slide, (the good ol' blue one on aluminum frame, not the rock feature type.) We are going to be moving soon and may have to build a new pool. Conversations with just about anyone tell you that diving boards and slides (the kind I have) are 'illegal' in California these days. And for sure I haven't seen a recently built pool with a diving board and the rock feature slides are the type you see now. So my question:

Are diving boards/slides 'illegal' in California?

Is it a home owners insurance thing? Local codes? State law that exempts existing?

A rock slide is fine, but the kids love the diving board.

A friend of mine in Orange County finished a pool in the last few years with a rock water slide. I know when I bought our house the first question from the insurer was “do you have a diving board or water slide?”. If we did they weren’t going to carry our coverage.

Our insurer was a no-go with diving boards in LA County (Farmers Insurance), but they didn't care too much about slides. Aesthetically, the built in place rock water slides just look better, but they can be cost prohibitive for a lot of people ($10K is normal). Best option is to talk with your insurer first. A lot of things you can ask for forgiveness later, but diving boards isn't one of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.