Diving Board Type / Size

Haymarket

Jul 21, 2019
Northern Virginia
Any recommendations on sepcific type / brand / model of diving board? We are building a 50x20' pool with a 9.5" deep end, which complies as a type IV diving pool. I want to be conservative, so am still leaning toward a 6' board with some spring (hopefully), to give a margin of safety. We are thinking about the SR Smith Salt system with a TrueTread board. So, any experience with that board and base? Any opinions on putting a 6' board in as opposed to an 8' board? (Yes, we know insurance implications). Thanks!

I have a Flyte Deck II with an 8’ Fibre Dive board. First, very satisfied with how its holding up. I would describe it as having some bounce. It’s not super stiff and not very bouncy. I had to get an 8’ board because we have an autocover which it has to go over. I think technically a 6’ may have worked but will look too small on a large pool and will be just long enough.

I will say that our pool is 38’ long. 3-8 1/2’ deep. So there is a steep slope. It is not hard to get enough bounce to hit the slope. But that is not how you should dive. Dives should be shallow and turn immediately up. But in practice sometimes some people won’t do that. So erring on the deeper pool, or less bouncy or shorter board size is advantageous. By deeper I mean deeper than mine. So 9’ or deeper would be my honest recommendation. And really not less that 38-40’ in length. But you’ve got both of those covered.

Hopefully that gives you some usable information. Maybe you can compare the bounce of the board you are looking at to the relative bounce of what I have and then with my description have some appreciation for what it maybe like. But of course mine is 8’ vs 6’ which obviously increases the bounce.

And I have to give my insurance story. I know you know about insurance so my apologies. In my mind, any one with a pool and any decent or largish amount of assets should have an umbrella policy. That was my issue. I checked with the primary coverage layer and they had no issue. No surcharge, no nothing. All it needed was a non-slip surface. Most injuries come from falling off the board. Though I suppose the bad ones we don’t like to think about are more expensive to them but not very common.

But it was my umbrella policy, which I didn’t inquire of, that wouldn’t cover the board. I had 30 days to remove it or they would drop me. I could either go with a stand-alone high dollar umbrella policy at a much higher cost or re-place all of my coverage with a carrier that would allow the board on both the primary and umbrella coverages.

I’m done. Just wanted to share my story that many also probably don’t think about.
Nationwide, at least for me, was happy to cover the board on both critical policies. Ended up saving a pretty penny in the end for all my various policies since I hadn’t taken it to market in quite a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.