Sendit6

Aug 16, 2023
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi All - here’s to another pool season, if it ever stops raining and gets warm enough here in Pgh.

Anyhow, another little speed bump encountered and wanted to get some input.

Salt Pool Jump System, Board is an 8’ True Tread.
Somehow, the jig is slightly off center. The bolts aren’t bent, it’s just 1/4 inch cockeyed to the right. Thx concrete guys.

The front left bolt is 45” from pool wall and the front right bolt is 45 1/4” back.
The back bolts are the same 1/4” deviation.

So when I put the fiberglass stand over the bolts it doesn’t face dead center to the pool, it points 1/4” right, just like the jig does.

My first thought was to just enlarge the holes in the base just enough so that it can face straight.

I reached out to SR SMITH and told them the situation. They said that they had base molds last year where the holes are drilled not matching up with jigs, and that they’d send me a new base.

I said no no, you’re not understanding what I just explained, I said the jig is what is slightly off center, not the holes. I said that I put the base over the holes two at a time on all sides and all sides of the jig, and they fit each time. That it’s not the base.

I said can I just enlarge the holes a bit so the base sits square to the pool. They said oh no, you can’t do that, we’ll send you the epoxy kit and you’ll have to drill 4 new holes.

In the meantime, I reached out to a few pool people around here and they said nonsense, you can enlarge bore in the base a little larger so they fit over all of the bolts and the base will be square to the pool.

I think I could live with the diving board pointing 1/4 inch to the right but I’d really like it to be straight.

My handyman, who is extremely knowledgeable about seemingly everything related to construction, AND is super meticulous about everything he does, also said that the hikes in the base can be slightly enlarged so the base fits square to the pool.

I get it as to why SR Smith would not say that this is possible to do, legally, but I would imagine off the record they’d say it’s perfectly fine.

Moreover, I feel like a jig in concrete would be a little stronger than 4 newly drilled bolts epoxied in, even though SR Smith said that it’s just as strong.

Anyone do anything like this as far as tweaks to make this work? Or any other anecdotal stories making other pool-related equipment work?

Sounds like you understand your options. There are many things that homeowners do that Pros concerned with liability will not.

Reactions: Sendit6