Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi all-
This weekend I decided to make the call to move to a cartridge filter. I was working on my very old sand filter and it is just getting old. Probably not the best timing with the post Texas storm run on supplies, but I was able to get the one I wanted. I got the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter | 420 Sq. Ft. | 160301. Got it through PoolSupplyUnlimited for $840. Tax and shipping a little over $1K, but I get $250 in rebate from my city water.

Installation should be easy, as I only have the basic filtering (no spa, heater, extras) I just need to put in a valve to be able to divert the water to my backwash hose in case the pool gets full of rain (and it does...)

Looking at 3 way Jandy valves, it seems on all of them, the water comes in and either goes right and/or left based on position. Since 99.9% of the time the filter will be running normally, and occasionally I need to divert, I was wondering if the there are any valves where by default the water runs straight through, and if I need to divert, the water turns. I may be overthinking this, but does the water having to do a 90 degree turn in a valve take away any pressure?

TIA

You can use any valve port for the IN and OUT in a 3 way valve. The water making a 90 degree turn does not make a difference. You have a bunch of 90 degree elbows in your plumbing where the water makes a 90 degree turn without any problems.

If you want the water to flow straight thru a Jandy valve, remove the handle and 8 screws. Then pop the lid off and rotate the word "INLET" to your desired position. Put the lid back on and carefully replace the 8 screws and handle.

Most all Jandy valves come from the manufacturer with "INLET" at the position yours is in - but that can easily be adjusted as needed.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
ok, great, thanks everyone. Makes sense.

Here is a valve I am looking at. Should I do Jandy? Or Pentair since I am an all Pentair system?

If you want the water to flow straight thru a Jandy valve, remove the handle and 8 screws. Then pop the lid off and rotate the word "INLET" to your desired position. Put the lid back on and carefully replace the 8 screws and handle.

Most all Jandy valves come from the manufacturer with "INLET" at the position yours is in - but that can easily be adjusted as needed.
OK, just to make sure I understand, I don't have to have the water come in through the side labelled "inlet". It can come in any of the three openings? And what you are recommending is just moving the label right?

Use ther Pentair valve. It is less expensive then Jandy. Functionally they are the same.

Yes, just move the label.

This is awesome. I didn't know this. It's not on the instruction sheet for the valve. This will make my upcoming job much easier. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
See if Hayward or

have your size.

Why do you need the 2.5 x 3" valve?

The 2 x 2.5" should be fine.

Just use the valve as the 90 going from the pump vertical pipe to the filter horizontal inlet pipe with the regular inlet in the center.

Horizontally, you will go left and right with one pipe going to the filter and the other going to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you need the 2.5 x 3" valve?

The 2 x 2.5" should be fine.

Just use the valve as the 90 going from the pump vertical pipe to the filter horizontal inlet pipe with the regular inlet in the center.

Horizontally, you will go left and right with one pipe going to the filter and the other going to waste.
The pipes coming off my pump is 2.5 outer diameter. The inner diameter of the valve is 2.5. Seems like the right fit. Am I missing something?

This is my VERY BASIC layout with my current sand filter. You can see the backwash pipe in back. This is a 5 year old pic with my old pump, Layout is basically same though.

Like you said, I can put the valve on the vertical rise, with the turn going to the new filter, and the straight going to my waste pipe.

filter.jpg

I would have the pipe from the pump go into the valve center inlet and the left will go to the filter and the right will go to waste.
Yeah, you said that originally, makes sense. I see what you are saying, and also about the pipe size. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.