South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m a bit perplexed here. This is the diverter valve just prior to pump. It is split between our main drain and skimmer. This is the current position and how it was left ever since install back in November:

6735629C-FE1A-4DBF-AEBC-E2CAF2CAD629.jpeg

It appears as though the main drain isn’t in use in my pool. Just a few questions.

1. What’s the ideal setup? I don’t assume it’s 50/50, but, I think the main drain should be in use somehow, no?

2. Can this be moved while pump is running or is it like the MPV where that is verboten?

3. Admittedly, I tried to turn it earlier. I may have had “off” tab facing the pump (now I don’t recall). The pump immediately lost print and air got into the filter. This caused a backflow of DE to the pump basket. I immediately stopped the pump, opened the air valve on the filter and fixed it. Was back up and running in under a minute. Not sure what caused that as air shouldn’t be in the system regardless of diverter position, no? I’m curious if that is an indication of main drain issue?

That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks!

The photo shows skimmer 100% and drain off. If the drain is not operable, and perhaps was plugged in the past, then that's the correct position. If you find later the drain does pull water, set it to about 80% skimmer and 20% drain at first. You can always change it later. When you turned the valve OFF to the drain, you closed-off all water access to the pump which is why it emptied. You can adjust the 3-way while the pump is on.

The drain should be operational, so I’ll play around.

If I want 80/20 (skimmer/drain) then I would keep the handle facing between the pump inlet and skimmer, correct? Closer to the skimmer inlet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.