Dissolving Borax is Challenging/Any Other Forms To Increase pH

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I've been struggling with dissolving borax for an hour... I have to get my pH to 7.4 and I need to dissolve about 121oz of borax (just opened my pool).

Now I'm dissolving my borax little at a time... no more than 32 oz in a bowl. However, dissolving is such a difficult task.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can dissolve this borax or any tips on other liquid chemicals out there that I can substitute as borax?

I was finally able to get 32oz of dissolved borax in my pool tonight. I'm done for today.

But any advise will be much appreciated.

According to your PoolMath logs, your pH was 6,8 and TA 60. Better would have been to add 20 ppm worth of baking soda and aerate.

From Pool School -- Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.
Use a bucket (5 gallons). Not a bowl. More water the better.

Reactions: JamesW
No, they are not the same thing.
Baking Soda will raise the TA and not have much effect on the pH. But aeration will drive the pH up.
Borax is a pretty big hammer to raise the pH if you only need to move it a little bit.

Okay! So I've added about 32oz of Borax....I think I'll leave it as that and see where my pH falls before I add some more

Do I need to increase my TA. I think I'm within target. Not sure, but that's what my app says. Any advise?

You can leave the TA. It is in range.
I was just suggesting that if you raised it a little, with aeration, pH would rise.
But wait to see if the borax got your pH into the 7's.

Reactions: Mendy48
Interesting...since I like my pH a bit tighter than 7.0-7.2, I went ahead and added some borax...and I just figured out a way to dissolve borax without straining my neck or pulling my hair out. LOL. I dissolve little by little at time and near the pool; in warm water (in a bowl or bucket). I don't try to dissolve the entire oz that I'm trying to dissolve - all in one shot. Instead I pour it little at a time and eventually they all dissolve ... maybe little particles here and there, but its dissolved.

Finally Ive found a way that works for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.