Discoloration on wall

danman

Sep 5, 2016
Spring, Tx
Hello All,

I've attached some images, which were the best shots I could get of these black areas on my pool walls. I noticed this just last week, and I've been traveling a lot so it could have been there sooner. So Sunday, I tried the normal got my brush and quickly saw nothing was coming off. So I tried my wire brush(which I rarely ever use) and still nothing. I then read it could be black algae, so I started the shock process. I've had my pool running 24x7 since Sunday, and my chlorine level around 7-10 that whole time. Brushing it multiple times a day(morning and evening), but this morning I stopped the pump so I could get a good look at it and it's still the same. So.. could this still be black algae or is my pebble tech failing?

Pool was built in 2006

thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    875.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 23
Good morning. Could you provide a full set of water test results? That would be our first step. Water history may tell us if there are concerns for organic material, scale, etc.

Your signature shows a cell. Still using that? Any scale in the SWG cell? Have you added any other chemicals to the water other than muriatic acid or salt?

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Have you added algaecide or anythying "blue" or with "minerals". If so it could be copper. I also put the pool school article on Black Algae, including how to scrape a bit off to see if it is truly black algae.

Good morning. Could you provide a full set of water test results? That would be our first step. Water history may tell us if there are concerns for organic material, scale, etc.

Your signature shows a cell. Still using that? Any scale in the SWG cell? Have you added any other chemicals to the water other than muriatic acid or salt?
I'm at work now, but I will post a results when I get home later this afternoon. So far, it's been pretty normal. FCL is about 3, pH(normal battle and try to keep it here) but around 7.4-7.6, CH is around 250, don't recall TA, but I don't think it was high. Anyhow I'll get you some numbers.

Still on the cell, and I only use Muratic Acid, and Salt. I will add liquid chlorine to help my cell out. It seems to really struggle during the summer even with my CYA at a normal level.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Have you added algaecide or anythying "blue" or with "minerals". If so it could be copper. I also put the pool school article on Black Algae, including how to scrape a bit off to see if it is truly black algae.

no algaecide or anything like that. Thanks for the articles, I'll read through them.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
FC is low, even if you had no CYA at all. And of course CYA should be at least 60, if using SWCG. 70 is better. So with 70 CYA, you should dose up to target with LC, then run SWCG enough to replace what you use in a day.

In TX, I would aim for 11-12 as your target. With 70 as your CYA.

IMG_1570.jpeg

Reactions: proavia
Those are some very good numbers. If they are historically that way, I can't see why chemistry would be an issue. Still, if the color changes are fairly new, something is changing or reacting. To be sure it's not organic related, you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You may pass, but it's good to know for sure. Another easy test to perform as a formaility is to rub a stained area wiht a Vitamin C tablet to rule out iron. I'm not expecting any reaction, but it helps to rule out yet another issue.

Since the Pebble is going on 17 years, there may be an issue with its age, but we'll get some others involved in that discussions if needed.

Those are some very good numbers. If they are historically that way, I can't see why chemistry would be an issue. Still, if the color changes are fairly new, something is changing or reacting. To be sure it's not organic related, you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You may pass, but it's good to know for sure. Another easy test to perform as a formaility is to rub a stained area wiht a Vitamin C tablet to rule out iron. I'm not expecting any reaction, but it helps to rule out yet another issue.

Since the Pebble is going on 17 years, there may be an issue with its age, but we'll get some others involved in that discussions if needed.
Thanks for the reply. I’m running the pump all night again and decided to raise my chlorine level based on that chart. I’ll test it again after 24 hours and see how things look and where my chemistry is.

Hello all, here's an update. I've been baby sitting his thing since my last post on Friday. I've kept my Chlorine levels around 8-10, black spot's are slightly lighter but it could be in my head. I am losing about .5ppm of chlorine a day, not sure if that's still meaning I need to keep my level up or the sun that is cooking all of south east Texas is taking it. Anyhow, any thoughts? Also should my Calcium be higher?

reading from this morning at 7:30am
FC = 7.5
CYA = 70
PH 7.4-7.6
TA = 120
CH = 250
Salt = 3100
Temp = 90

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CH is on the low end, so no lower. If you don't add a little calcium, be sure to let the pH rise a little higher to compensate. A pH of 7.6-7.8 should be fine. Your FC seems steady which is good. If you decide to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test later, make sure to follow that page carefully and leave the SWG off. I would still try the Vitamin C test (iron) and perhaps try sprinkling a little cal-hypo granules on a stained area to see if they are organic.

Haven’t been able to do the vitamin test or cal-hypo yet, but I’ll try this weekend. Here’s some current pictures. I’m beginning to think it’s the pebble tech

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    722.6 KB · Views: 5
I was able to dive down and take a look today, still working a lot. Anyhow, I don’t think it’s algae. Pretty sure my pebbletec is failing. Then googling I actually think I may have pebble sheen. But with that said, if it’s flaking and I can see small pits, anyone know an average cost to resurface nowadays? And how long can you let it go before fixing it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.