Disadvantages of high CYA levels

TishTash

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Merrick, NY
I understand there’s a sweet spot for CYA (and distinct ones for SWCG and non-SWCG pools), but wondered what was inherently disadvantageous with pushing its upper limit. If one maintains the appropriate (higher) FC for that increased CYA level, wouldn’t you still have adequate sanitization, and in exchange a decreased daily FC loss? I understand approaching substantial difficulty attaining the increased FC heights required for a SLAM, but is there a likewise inherent difficulty in maintaining that higher a maintenance level, especially in light of a corresponding decreased FC loss?

Last edited:
You can manage a high CYA level pool. The FC loss per day is not appreciably less than if at a proper CYA Range for your pool and climate. A big disadvantage is the disruption to the pH test and sometimes the TA test with high FC levels.

• Wow
Reactions: TishTash
Additionally, there are two other items that come up. First, if you do come down with algae it’s greatly impractical to reach SLAM levels as you mentioned. Next is when you go above 100 the CYA tests are really just kinda a guess. While you can dilute to get a ballpark you’ve gotta know it’s accuracy is watered down. That’s fine if you just want a guess-ta-ment of how much water to drain, but dangerous to use day to day.

Back to the original TishTash question. What are the implications within recommended CYA ranges, of being at the upper end of the range vs the middle. For example I still use liquid 12.5% chlorine. At CYA of 40, my target FC is 5-7, while at CYA of 50, the target is 6-8. I think the OP's question might be, would I use less liquid chlorine to maintain 6 at 50 CYA than to maintain 5 at 40 CYA?

Reactions: TishTash
Back to the original TishTash question. What are the implications within recommended CYA ranges, of being at the upper end of the range vs the middle. For example I still use liquid 12.5% chlorine. At CYA of 40, my target FC is 5-7, while at CYA of 50, the target is 6-8. I think the OP's question might be, would I use less liquid chlorine to maintain 6 at 50 CYA than to maintain 5 at 40 CYA?

I would venture to guess it’s the same, as you’re essentially replacing UV chlorine loss, so any value within the range is acceptable. I suppose at higher CYA levels, you have more of a reserve of free chlorine locked up, but I’m uncertain whether that extra reserve can actually come into use given the increased CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.