Dirt and crushed granite in pool

Jul 4, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hi all,

Last year we put a crushed granite pathway in our backyard. It looks great and helped stop the dogs from tracking mud in. However, we've found that when it rains REALLY hard, it carries some of the dirt/mud into my pool.

This has happened a few times over the last month but I've been able to get the pool back to normal within a few days. Saturday evening we had the hardest rain I've ever seen. It carried a ton of the crushed granite itself down near the pool. No actual visible rocks made it in the pool, but tons of small sediment made it into the pool. The water was very brown and I've had to vacuum it at least 3 times (each time the water goes below the skimmer to I've had to refill, wait, then vacuum again).

After 12 hrs of filtering, the water is looking better, but it has a long way to go. My question to you all is this. If I get all the "normal" chemicals/readings balanced out and the water is clear, is there anything else I should be concerned with? Is there anything major that the dirt/mud/granite/sediment would have brought into the pool that would require me to drain it (metals or whatnot)? I'm thinking no, but I just want to be sure it's safe. Not sure what I'd test with or what to look for other than a few days of shocking/high FC.

I have a DE filter but am using cellulose (which I really like, by the way - so much easier than DE). Before the latest storm, all my readings were within normal limits.

Thanks for any insight!
jt

You are doing everything I did when my yard flooded and flowed into the pool during a record rainfall a few years back. I kept the FC up and vacuumed as the sediment fell to the floor, backwashing as needed. Took about a full week to look normal again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.