ShinDiors

Jul 16, 2021
Northern VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
22k gal in ground pool, refurbed minimally back to operating condition last season. Earlier this season, the PACFAB developed some leak from the bottom, so I started to think potential replacement/upgrade.

I saw quite a few fellow pool owners recommend changing that to cartridge filter for easier DIY. What is the ballpark cost for a new cartridge filter you guys recommend (and which model for recommendation?) My dilemma today is that I found a deal of a new Pentair FNS48 (the one with plastic/polymer tub) for below $700, and that probably do not require much replumbing although I current do not have mpv only a push/pull backwash valve.

Not sure first of all, if the price is really as the ads says "50% off", and how much a cartridge filter would run me. I have a very cramped equipment space and the old plumbing probably could use some optimization/tweaks. If I go with cartridge, I may need to spend extra to do some major replumbing as well.

Any input/suggestion is welcomed. Thanks a lot.

That's not quite 50% off, but a good price if the filter is complete. It would probably just slide into place.
The Pentair tank will be the about the same diameter as your current filter, whether you go with the DE or a cartridge filter. Except for System 3 filters, virtually all large capacity filters are about the same size in diameter.
If you go with a cartridge filter, be sure to plumb it correctly. The inlet and outlet on a cartridge filter are the opposite of what you have now on your DE.

That's not quite 50% off, but a good price if the filter is complete. It would probably just slide into place.
The Pentair tank will be the about the same diameter as your current filter, whether you go with the DE or a cartridge filter. Except for System 3 filters, virtually all large capacity filters are about the same size in diameter.
If you go with a cartridge filter, be sure to plumb it correctly. The inlet and outlet on a cartridge filter are the opposite of what you have now on your DE.
How much would a cartridge filter cost these days? And about the FNS48, how much is the real price (not msrp) one can easily get?

Also, where do you guys normally buy the filter?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.