Vienna, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello. I currently have two Intermatic mechanical timers: a T104R that controls the filter pump and the SWCG at the same time (see my signature for brands and models), and a T101R that controls the Polaris pump. They were installed at different times, which is why they're not the same model. The T101R was installed 4 years ago, and the T104R 3 years ago. The SWCG was installed 2 years ago.

Before we installed the SWCG, both timers worked fine as I recall. But then once we installed the SWCG, the timer connected to the Polaris pump started tripping the breaker. I don't remember if this started happening the same year we installed the SWCG (2019) or last year. I now have started keeping a Pool Notes log so I can remember these things. It didn't seem to be 100% reproducible, but I think most of the time, it happened when the Polaris timer was set to turn ON, and sometimes it happened when it turned OFF.

Yesterday, I removed the timer pins and I saw that the ON pin was bent out of shape, and the timer itself had melted yellow grease in one spot behind the wheel. So then I left the pins out, and I turned on the timer manually, and then later it tripped the breaker again, so I think it's getting stuck. I also noticed that when I pull the wheel out and turn it clockwise, it gets stuck sometimes.

Reading through similar threads here, I see that Intermatic has digital timers, which sounds appealing given the issues I've had. I looked through the Intermatic site, but I'm not sure which one I need to get. Based on the equipment in my signature, and the need to control 3 things: filter pump, CircuPool, and Polaris pump, which one would you recommend? Is there a single timer that can control all 3?

Thanks!

Thanks! It looks like the resistive load rating is 17A. Do you know if that's for each circuit, or all together? The Polaris booster pump says that the starting current of the booster pump motor may exceed 15 amps. Would that be an issue given that the filter pump and SWCG will also be running on the other circuit (although starting at different times)?

The load rating is per circuit.

You should have a 20 amp breaker on each circuit and the 17 amp load is not a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.