Dig profile before or after wall erection

DoDo1975

May 22, 2020
Kelowna, Canada
Hi,

We are building a kidney shape sport pool. Depth goes from 48" to 64" to 48" starting at 7 feet from each end of the 32"X18" pool with 2 feet in the middle at max depth.

It seems overly difficult to try to determine exactly where the slope and deep part should be without having the pool walls in place (in fact the exact locations are referenced to the locations where the walls meet). I am assuming that we should rough dig before walls go up but do the final dig/grading with the walls in place.

Does this seem reasonable and like best practice or am I way off base?

pool.png

Dig the whole pool to the shallow end depth first. Be careful spraying your lines. Use the plan to make a square first and use the measurements to come up with the panel placements. Keep the over dig tight dont go crazy. Once you have the floor dug to right depth you can map panels or erect 2/3ds and dig inside the pool. Following the plan is straightforward if you can understand the triangulation. With the other way Its much easier to dig with a full size excavator you can reach out of the pool to dump. If you have to you can use a mini amd put spoils into a waiting skidateer, that's how i usually shape it unless the dirt is sandy easy hand digging. Experienced operators who only dig pools can practically tie your shoelaces with the bucket

Yes that's Correct. Only about a 15000 gallon pool.

How do people usually go about laying out the pool (finding points a,b,c,d and others)? Do the just measure to two points with masons string and drop a plumb; or is there a better way.

So I dug the profile before wall erection as the PB wanted some crush down as a base. Curious if I can fully dig the area between the shelf and the hopper prior to putting up the walls and if so, should it just be a straight line or convex/concave slightly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.