Georgetown, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have just installed an Intellicenter with a SWG in my existing pool setup, and have a question I couldn't find an answer to... why is there such a difference between the manufacturer (Pentair) chemistry recommendations and those here at TFP (and in my PoolMath app)? Particularly the following:

MeasurePentair Recommendation (PPM)TFP Recommendation (PPM)
Free Chlorine2-44-6
Cyanuric Acid30-5060-80
Total Alkalinity80-12060-80

I've had nothing but great luck following the advice for maintaining my pool found here, but get a little nervous reading the warnings from my Raypak (heater) and Pentair about FC levels above 4 PPM causing "corrosion of metal components."

Can someone explain the differences, and why I shouldn't be worried about damaging my equipment with the higher FC levels suggested?

Thank you!

why is there such a difference between the manufacturer (Pentair) chemistry recommendations and those here at TFP (and in my PoolMath app)?
This is one of those most popular questions on TFP. Do a quick search and you'll find many similar questions. Those recommended ranges are extremely vague, generic, and still used by several manufactures. They do not account various pool types, the proper FC-CYA relationship (per FC/CYA Levels), and assume pool owners use acidic products like chlorine tabs. SWGs operate more efficiently with a higher CYA (Circupool for example acknowledges that fact). TFP recommended levels account for these and many other variables the outdated generic levels do not. Stick to the PoolMath and you should do fine.

Plain and simple. The industry treats CYA and FC as two independent values. We respect their relationship and the CYA value determines the proper FC range.

As far as being 'safe' goes, FC is safe anywhere between minimum and SLAM per the FC/CYA Levels.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you, and I will try searching differently. TFP/PoolMath recommendations have not steered me wrong.

To be very specific on my concern, are you saying that higher levels of FC (4-6) will not cause corrosion of metal components?

Thanks again!

To be very specific on my concern, are you saying that higher levels of FC (4-6) will not cause corrosion of metal components?
Correct. The CYA works to buffer the chlorine. The levels are balanced together as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to protect the pool, equipment, and ensure proper water sanitation. In fact, if you look at the FC/CYA Levels you'll see a tab for the SLAM Process. You can actually be in the water up to SLAM FC levels.

Reactions: Newdude
I have just installed an Intellicenter with a SWG in my existing pool setup, and have a question I couldn't find an answer to... why is there such a difference between the manufacturer (Pentair) chemistry recommendations and those here at TFP (and in my PoolMath app)? Particularly the following:

MeasurePentair Recommendation (PPM)TFP Recommendation (PPM)
Free Chlorine2-44-6
Cyanuric Acid30-5060-80
Total Alkalinity80-12060-80

I've had nothing but great luck following the advice for maintaining my pool found here, but get a little nervous reading the warnings from my Raypak (heater) and Pentair about FC levels above 4 PPM causing "corrosion of metal components."

Can someone explain the differences, and why I shouldn't be worried about damaging my equipment with the higher FC levels suggested?

Thank you!
There’s one parameter missing that has one of the biggest impacts on your heater & other equipment more so than fc levels- PH.
Improperly balanced ph can definitely cause damage to heaters/equipment so keep that in check to ensure the longevity of your new equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.