Didn't Open Pool This Year - "Re-Closing" again now, or not?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi folks. I've been silent all summer because we ended up unfortunately NOT opening our pool this year. In the spring we had a windstorm which blew some of the cover into the pool and let some leaves/debris into the pool. I covered it up immediately and knew it could get bad but did plan on opening it based on advice here on the forums. But, we didn't due to life circumstances. It's going to get cold here (had a bit below freezing last night, again tonight). It will warm up the next 9 days between 49-70 F high to 34-50 F low after tonight's 32. Water temp was 58F.

I know this past behavior isn't what we do here....but.....is it still worth hooking up everything and SLAMMING over the next week or however long it takes to clean and balance the water for 'second closing'? I had trouble once adding CYA to colder water and it took forever to dissolve, and doing all this work right now would be a pain. But if there is risk to the liner or something other than just a possibly green pool at open, I will do it. Here is the state of the water: puffs of brown colored stuff on the bottom, clear water, slightly slimy sides of the vinyl liner and a mild swamp smell. What could happen, damage-wise, if I do nothing and wait till spring to open as early as possible?

Here's what it looks like now. I checked 3 areas and they are all similar. Thanks in advance for your input. Trying to make the best of the situation I'm in right now.
ADCreHfEXwC0zWfIdUhBVFgQ5a-tvJ9__DyqTdX5SVE5LwhpggHlbVidqJhWos5jmM5b1UKcQPnV2TlXAHF-nGKSIdu8fGKDglHQXouwlOqdb5x-bc7Lt0f8Uaj99ncw9773L4wzhPqbz4DtTovsl3VJ7k7QR6hDnvcEvQNw0sPLmLuEcbt2q3m1ZM7IQ0X2yHjRo-nNRtTbvZRdVTbRJuZvNtztsYFx1pXwW4yTEE4uN2woDyIvNq26R2gOksEFaWDnl8k0wWzPngqodVVWsq5UY_SPdQHWljiZyPXMBt3D4JvNabJEMib8gKbJ6C5UV-0G2JR4TGqFtIENZSXk33PK6u-tSlRdH7eMkhIwQi9a8gyj8EPZ4aHmqcELzwqPwvwxdA5B-95XRmDCPtXjOOOLHOSI9FfJGFPYfcJZ13eXhU-TRK_R2DEKBbwRLCMWS7lhVPh3GjwANWoRUBvsbEzAq0JziOcF4lFsLrmjQpXXbysz_swOBMaVWISFG7uKFv4PPop6deG5WOXFoOXdj0PR0TzD4J_-3_YPae7NjYuiY0rP9ZinsN7AsNGjbkpYdKFn3o0HT-XCLyOMnBxlgxu9uhzPyQDCe9fFdTGoAIbV1GVwyLBijgpbqAKuxEmKbMTnSbSTV_cuxe97tjNJNdPVRF-9MVeE_cJfrp9sM5ixHTYkx1VK0UDE2D5sJLgVWVEQMuL7Y-HW41zA4MfqD20R0ziZccdnX951992ks13XGLm6Be6avNqFUHQVZcH6c6sEpDItcUMantUvbdqzjg3vmEHFja04H4RGnbL79gTt8FT_ZOxNvg62CACJTNn-Zm9Z6qtpr6Dr8H2fXJuN-bCNOM-oT_aBpWM3sDZI4RNt5QIhnPV_5Jlrb6zKTx5SLRGv4nNhD1KO94w8r4tU8vdaIrA19-HFfJD41VL7q018pvIWbV989QRpj5HluZVZFg=w1241-h931-s-no-gm

I forgot to add that we are at minimum going to 1) remove and replace the old pool cover with a new one, and 2) do some manual debris removal with a net before the minimal "re-closing" at least to get out the leaves. Thanks.
Yup, do that. No more necessary.

+1 with new cover and possibly using the leaf rake to remove some stuff from the bottom. If it was properly winterized last end of season all should still be intact and safe for another winter unless there's something you're suspecting otherwise leave well enough alone.

I know this past behavior isn't what we do here....but..
Any last one of us is one event from life getting in the way and pushing the pool to the back seat.

'What we do here'...... is try to help old friends best manage that too.

(And hey:wave:).

+3 to the above thoughts.

Newdude you are the best. Thank you so much for your super kind reply. It meant so much to me. I just really needed to hear that. And I am sorry for such a late reply!

So I decided to not leave well enough alone, unfortunately, and am trying to kill whatever is in the pool. Even though this was a pretty crappy season with not opening and timing and more/new issues, I still have learned more about the 'limits' of my pool and equipment. This might sound weird, but how I view the pool has changed throughout the past 5 summers. It's like, we are trying to take water, something awesome and pristine, and go against all nature to keep a whole lot of it totally clean to be available at a moment's notice. There are 100's of factors feeding into this process and not to mention tons of overlapping things that can occur and cause new issues. It's kind of a fun adventure....except when you are outside in 30F weather tarping the pump for the night like I was earlier.

I still know the doing things correctly the first time is the BEST prevention.

Thanks,
Kristin

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Hi, I'll spare you the backstory.....but I need to close ASAP. Unfortunately the last time I checked pH a week ago it was over 8.0 while the pump has been running almost continuously. I forgot to re-test and re-balance the pH before starting a SLAM and now I need to close, but know that pH is not accurate right now.

I could add muriatic acid assuming a pH of 8.0 (at least) when last tested, and add to get to say 7.4. But I will be doing this blind. SHOULD I do this? Should I close without adjusting pH knowing it is definitely over 8.0 since my pump has been running a lot the past week? What will happen to the liner if pH is above 8.0? I THINK higher pH is better than lower pH on the liner but I'm pretty upset and nervous about damaging something. Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Kristin

What's your FC ? Any chance it can drift down in time to be 10 or less to get a better PH reading ?

I've had luck getting the PH back into the right color range by using 4 drops or even 3 on the block test when it's purple-y fuscia with 5 drops. Supposedly once it's the right range of pink, it's valid again.

With vinyl I'd choose high over low any day of the week if I had to. Low PH (like in the 5s) wrecks liners with a bazillion wrinkles like a fingerprint. Many vinyl pools lower PH in the off season so it might even correct itself, but you're starting later than usual so it won't be as much.

Anywho if you don't have time to get a good reading, try less drops. If that doesn't work, let it ride. You could over correct if blind and start low, possibly leading to an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, what would be better and more helpful for you if you have more questions, is to start your own new thread. It will help you get more views. There's a greater chance of not being seen when tagging onto another's thread. And people will see your thread directly instead of by chance.
It's her thread. :laughblue:

(And I've made that goof myself 100 times. So NO finger pointing from me)

• Wow
Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.