Did Pentair start rodent proofing heaters?

Candurin

Jun 30, 2017
South Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We just had our pool equipment installed and I wanted to make sure that I am diligent and rodent proof our MasterTemp 300 heater. I was on the MK RodentProof website to buy a precut kit and noticed that our heater doesn’t match their “A” or “B” kit. It seems as though our heater already some level of rodent proofing already. Our heater has manufacturing date of 7/28/2020 and here’s some photos.

4FD1A37C-7570-4B57-9E63-33E94997FD2A.jpegC85894AB-7D2F-4B32-99F9-231B991E0A05.jpeg
There’s a reflective/mirrored metal plate that seals the gap behind the exhaust. There also seems to be no longer a gap around the water inlet/outlet “plate”.

I am not sure if a rodent can get in through the side panel vents. They look large in the photo, but,I can’t even squeeze the tip of my finger in there. I’m not sure how large the vent openings

Does anyone see any areas that need to be screened in? If so, I’ll send pictures over to MK to see what they recommend.

We do get a lot of voles down here, so this would be a good winter project for me to tackle.

Thanks for the help!

I have read that Pentair made the housing more secure at the bottom to stop rodents such as rats. Obviously bees and lizards will always find a way in. I remove my side panels every couple of months just to verify. Especially in colder weather where they may hide from the wind.

Update. Just went outside again and temporarily put a piece of flex-seal tape over the gas line hole, until I run the gas line over the winter (too be honest, rodents aren't much of an issue in NJ this time of year). I also looked at the metal reflective plate surrounding the exhaust and it is only fixed in one spot (at the bottom) and a rodent can easily get in behind the plate as it flexes. I may affix that to the heater or put screen/mesh material in behind it.

Update #2 - Got an email back from MK. They state that mine is a newer heater that Pentair claims is rat proof. If I want extra security then I would need kit 201.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.