Did I get duped? PebbleTec vs. Diamond Brite, is there a difference?

propjetprop

Gold Supporter
Jan 5, 2018
Douglasville Georgia
Ignorance and lack of experience/knowledge when it comes to contracting, building and pools is my weak link here.

I was quoted and paid for a Tahoe Blue PebbleTec pool finish. The finish went in May 1, and we have been swimming in and enjoying the pool. During this time I have spent countless hours learning everything pool from this site. This morning I was flipping through my phone and looking at old pics, and I came across these pics of the pool plaster guys the morning they were going to spray the finish on the pool. I snapped a couple of photos for future reference, and did not think about them until now.

I am beginning to learn that there might be a difference between PebbleTec and Diamond Brite finishes in a pool. (I would have had no idea a month ago when they installed the finish). Is there a difference?

Based on these photos of materials used on my pool, did I get a PebbleTec finish? Or a Diamond Brite finish? Is there a Difference?
20180430_080726.jpg 20180430_080734.jpg

The finished product of my pool looks closer to the photo from the pebbletec website of the tahoe blue. I am so confused:

PebbleTec Tahoe Blue from their website:
pebbletec tahoe blue.JPG

Diamond Brite Tahoe Blue from their website:
Capture.JPG

My Pool:

20180430_111035.jpg 20180502_140848.jpg

What do you all think

Is that all that was on the truck? Maybe there was material on the truck for two jobs that day. Diamond Brite is a quartz finish and is an excellent product as well. PebbleTec might have a slight edge on the Diamond Brite. So, if they did mix them up it isn't all that bad. Especially if you're happy with the finish and the color.

What does your contract say? For all of the pool builders I spoke with, they are both premium finishes. None of them really talked much about premium finishes until I asked. Is it possible you just went with an upgraded finish and it just says the color?

I did not price Diamondbrite yet (waiting on a response-plaster goes in on Friday and we’re deciding) but Pebbletec seems to be more expensive, at least from what I’ve gathered.

What does your contract say? For all of the pool builders I spoke with, they are both premium finishes. None of them really talked much about premium finishes until I asked. Is it possible you just went with an upgraded finish and it just says the color?

I did not price Diamondbrite yet (waiting on a response-plaster goes in on Friday and we’re deciding) but Pebbletec seems to be more expensive, at least from what I’ve gathered.

The contract says Tahoe Blue PebbleTec.

Do you know if the PebbleTec Product uses the stuff on the truck in the photos above labled "diamond brite"?

No, PebbleTec comes in bags labeled PebbleTec. That is definitely a Diamond Brite finish.

What I do not understand is the glaring difference between the samples of PebbleTec and Diamond Brite for "Tahoe Blue" on thier websites... Look at the original post and the two screenshots of the two products.... Then look at the pics I posted of the pool. The finished pool looks very much like the PebbleTec sample and nothing like the Diamond Brite.

Here is a screenshot of all of the diamond brite colors, and honestly I don't think that the finished pool looks like any of them? What do you think?

View attachment 80665

I guess the BIG question is: Is there a price difference for the Southeast/Georgia area for a 17k gallon pool? If I paid a premium for PebbleTec and got a lower cost product, or inferior warantee, I want to know and have ammunition to address the contractor.

Looks like the Diamond Brite bags were for the second job, they are still strapped down and there are no empty diamond Brite bags visible on the ground. A pebble finish and quartz finish are easily distinguished just by looking at them. Your pool appears to be a pebble finish, what brand you will not know without finding name on empty brown bags on the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just noticed something... Are the brown bags pebbletec? Notice all the trash is brown bags, not blue.... Maybe there were multiple jobs on this truck!!!!

OMG... I think the brown bags are the pebble tec ..... HAHAHA do I feel stupid

Just be glad they pulled the right one! They are both good plaster though.

We had one build where they had two jobs for the day...........one major up grade in plaster with LOTS of extras.........the other was just white plaster. Guess what happened.................trucks went to the wrong houses!!!! So someone got a major upgrade for free.......the other guy got a full chip out and redo but it all worked out in the end. Last I heard they two pool owners met and are still friends over this mix up LOL

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Staceyleah22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.