Dialing in New SWG

JTAG

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Babcock Ranch Florida
I recently completed converting my pool to SWG. Before starting it up my FC was at 7 and CYA 50. I started the unit at 40% (IC40) and ran for a day and checked the following morning and FC was 11. Im wondering the best way to dial the correct percentage without a lot of chasing around. My initial thought is to shut cell down and monitor until FC is in range and then start cell at something below 40%. Can i just turn down percentage to 0% on easy touch to shut down unit? Or do I need to unplug it? Thanks

Pool Math from TFP will let you calculate CL generating rate for your SWG with your pool size. So if you can estimate the daily pool consumption of FC you'll know how long / at what % you should run your SWG. I have found these calculations to be pretty accurate. Just remember your CL daily consumption will be impacted by some variables of course

Pool Math from TFP will let you calculate CL generating rate for your SWG with your pool size. So if you can estimate the daily pool consumption of FC you'll know how long / at what % you should run your SWG. I have found these calculations to be pretty accurate. Just remember your CL daily consumption will be impacted by some variables of course

Exactly,

Do the math.

The IC40 puts out about 1.4 lb of Cl gas at 100% in 24 hours.

If you have been using TFP methods to chlorinate your pool previously, you should know how much CL your pool uses per day.

Do the math and start with that value.

It helps if you split your run times. I have mine run in the AM just as the sun comes up - that give the pool a good dose of CL to get it through the day in the sun. Then I have it run again at dusk, letting the CL build up so it can go overnight with no sun loss.

With the SWG at 0%, just keep testing the FC until it comes down to your target level. Turn the SWG back on at 5 or 10% less output. Test FC next day. If it's high again, repeat the process. It doesn't hurt anything to have slightly elevated FC (except wasting the SWG a tiny bit). You'll get it tuned in in a few days. Keep in mind, as the weather cools the FC consumption will continue to drop, so you'll repeat this process until the temp levels off. Then in reverse as it warms up again in the spring. There is no one-size-fits-all setting for an SWG. You'll adjust it several times a year throughout the seasons. But if you keep track of the settings throughout the year, you'll have a good reference for the following year(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.