DFW Pool Build

LOVE the tile work! Love the rolled look! NICE detail! The waterline tile looks great!

So...........why are there steps under a window????

Will you have a railing or such on the raised patio? If not I would think about having the steps coming off of the patio going all the way across.

Kim:cat:

Thanks, we like it a lot.

That's our master bedroom. We will be adding a set of french doors.

No, it's hard to see it in the pictures but there is a retaining wall all around those areas that will make a planter. We will basically be making plant railings.

We have unfortunately hit our first snag and it's a big one. Well, two big ones actually.

First was they jacked the finish up pretty bad in some spots. We had a rock salt finish on the last pool and like everything about it except some areas would get really slick when wet.

They were supposed to do a super light broom finish with the rock salt. Well, they forgot the broom finish and tried to do it after applying the salt and as you can tell from the pics, it was a bad call on their part.

Here's the worst of it right outside the back door. Quite a few other places on the deck where there are these deep and now very rough gouges where the salt was drug through the concrete.

The other big woops on their part is the main set of stairs. As you can see in this pic there's quite a difference in height of the top step. Code allows for a 3/8" variation in riser height. We have a nice 2.5" variation here.

Still waiting to hear back from the builder today as to what he's going to do. Steps I don't see any way out of other than breaking out the jackhammer. Problem with that though is now I'll have a cold joint at both the top slab and bottom slab. I know we can drill and anchor rebar into the existing slabs but not sure how well that will hold up compared to the monolithic pour.

The finish on the concrete is another problem that kool deck or something like that could possibly be used to fix.

Anyone got any opinions/pointers/advice?

Pool is looking good! That's unfortunate on how they tried to brush it after the fact. In that pic it looks really bad. A cool deck product or something similar is easiest way to fix that and make it look good. Hopefully on the PB dime. It would definitely bother me the two sets of steps aren't identical...hopefully they get that corrected to your satisfaction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, got some more work done yesterday.

And in even better news, I got a text telling me that they weren't going to do stone on the steps. They are going to level them out with the deck coating they are going to be putting on all of the deck.

Now we got the tough decision of picking which color to go with on the deck. The product they are using is the classic cool deck from http://www.istexas.net/concrete_resurfacing_applications_arlington_tx.html

Here's the 3 samples that we are torn between. Any suggestions?

I like the lighter one on the right. I think lighter = cooler, plus I like the contrast with the stone and coping. But any will look great! I love your pool... I really wanted a straight line pool with square spa like yours but our yard shape didn't work as well for it. And so jealous of your rolled neck :)

Thank you, we are really pleased with how everything has turned out. The rolled neck is a nice touch. It's so much more comfortable than the coping hitting you in the back of the neck.

Had a minor issue with the deck finish but the builder is stepping up and making it right. We went with the lighter color on the right. Hopefully we can get some of the rain that's forecast this week to hold off so we can get finished up.

Load of topsoil was delivered yesterday so they can do final grading and clean up. Gas line still needs buried and hooked up. Then plaster and deck overlay. Not sure yet how long the deck overlay will be pushing things out and if they'll potentially do plaster ahead of deck coating.

Glad to see your builder is making it right. We are using the same builder as you. They are doing our steel today. Hoping the rain holds off for gunite tomorrow. They dug last Tuesday and Wednesday. Did plumbing on Thursday. Nothing since. I know they are behind because of the weather. My neighbor said they are doing the steel right now.

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.