Desperately needed advice for SWGC before my pool turns green

kenzo42

Jan 11, 2016
Los angeles, ca
Hi Everyone,
I'm in need of a new SWGC for 13,000 gallon pool. I currently have a SGS Wave 40 (currently owned by CMP) but it stopped working. I have a few questions:

1) Would you just go with another CMP system since the parts are a direct swap? CMP Model 540 ---$1200 (no installation fee)
2) It sounds like the lifespan of SWGCs last around 5-7 years. Doesn't it make sense to just go with the manufacturer that has the longest warranty then? Circupool RJ-40 --- $1500 (+$400 installation fee)
3) Why is it frowned up to do a stand alone with Pentair IC40? I have no interest in automation. Pentair IC40 ---$1600 (+400 installation fee)
4) This is probably a very stupid question, but I can't help question everything now after being a parent. Do all SWGC (big names vs cheaper ones) create the same chlorine with the same byproducts? I'm thinking lead or toxic substances as byproducts in cheaper cells. I feel stupid as I finish typing this.

Thank you for any clarification

136370_0_201818141551.jpg

How many years did you get out of the SGS Wave?

If the controller is still good? How about an OEM replacement cell for $500? I'm pretty sure this will work on Wave and Breeze models, but you could call to confirm.

Reactions: Mdragger88
All SWCG work the same. They add no byproducts. It is avery simple electro-chemical process to create the free Chlorine (Cl-) from the salt (NaCl). What part specifically needs replaced? just the cell? or the whole system (i.e. somethings wrong with the controller circuit board) Try this one

Hey Kenzo !!!

1) depends if you LOVE the system. Then I'd stay with what you have for cheaper and easier. If you switch and aren't handy, you'll pay for instalation but next time it's an easy swap.

2) the name brands get about 10k hours of use. The unit doesn't care how often it's run, it just does what you tell it. An undersized unit needs to run longer to produce the same FC. That makes it die sooner.

The generic cells may or may not last. Some are rated for 3k- 5k hours. But if you saved a chunk of cash, it may be worth it to buy then 2 - 3x as often.

3) I had an IC60 with no automation and I bought another one for my next pool. It is a beast and I am loyal. Knowing the system inside and out already is nice as well. It's pricey, and circupool has cheaper models that are just as powerful, but they aren't for me. Some folks have to go Pentair to get along with their preferred automation. Many say they wouldn't unless they had to, but I love mine.

4) there are no stupid questions, ever. SWGs are of no harm whatsoever. The unit uses electrolysis to produce chlorine gas. The byproduct of the chlorine burning off turns it back into salt and It goes for another lap in the system.

Reactions: markayash
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's the controller that's damaged. However, the cell has now sprung a leak where the cord connects. Cmp recommended that I replace it all.

I don't know the history of the system because I purchased the house with it already installed.

Hey Kenzo !!!

1) depends if you LOVE the system. Then I'd stay with what you have for cheaper and easier. If you switch and aren't handy, you'll pay for instalation but next time it's an easy swap.

2) the name brands get about 10k hours of use. The unit doesn't care how often it's run, it just does what you tell it. An undersized unit needs to run longer to produce the same FC. That makes it die sooner.

The generic cells may or may not last. Some are rated for 3k- 5k hours. But if you saved a chunk of cash, it may be worth it to buy then 2 - 3x as often.

3) I had an IC60 with no automation and I bought another one for my next pool. It is a beast and I am loyal. Knowing the system inside and out already is nice as well. It's pricey, and circupool has cheaper models that are just as powerful, but they aren't for me. Some folks have to go Pentair to get along with their preferred automation. Many say they wouldn't unless they had to, but I love mine.

4) there are no stupid questions, ever. SWGs are of no harm whatsoever. The unit uses electrolysis to produce chlorine gas. The byproduct of the chlorine burning off turns it back into salt and It goes for another lap in the system.
Thank you for your responses. Why do you prefer pentair over circupool?

Just to clarify- the currently available rj45+ produces 2#’s of chlorine/day
& the pentair ic40 produces 1.4 #’s/day
The ic60 produces 2#’s/day & is more comparable to the rj.
Be sure u are comparing apples to apples
Most any standalone system you mentioned will be basically the same install method - there may be a little pvc cutting but the basics are the same. The main contingency is that circupool doesn’t “penalize” your warranty for diy. Not sure about cmp.

Why do you prefer pentair over circupool?
The usual reason. Because the PB used it on my pool and it worked amazing. :)

When the original cell reached end of life, I seriously considered switching, but with zero complaints, I didn't want to tempt fate and I went for a second lap. We moved and I had no reason to change brands again on the upcoming build.

Just to clarify- the currently available rj45+ produces 2#’s of chlorine/day
& the pentair ic40 produces 1.4 #’s/day
The ic60 produces 2#’s/day & is more comparable to the rj.
The rumor is that Circupool raises its voltage to 125% in boost mode (a temporary function) and then quotes that production # against the others which only have 100%.

So I take Circupools comparison chart with a 40 lb bag of salt. Wait. I mean. I take their shady sales division which is set up to appear independent with zero mention of the relationship, with a 40 lb bag of salt. :laughblue:

If I didn't see soooooooooooooo many members using them with great results, you couldn't pay me to buy their products for all their shady business. But our folks have no business lying to me so I always agree they are a quality product. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.