Design thoughts requested

TexasBill

Bronze Supporter
Oct 23, 2016
Montgomery/ Texas
Greetings! We are inthe initial process of getting designs from PBs. Attached are the first set of 3d pic art we received. I’d love to hear some feedback from this experienced group.

Goals:

· Functionality for family of 5 (2 adults, 2 early-teens, and a 3yo child)
· Reasonable cost
· ‘Sport’ design 3.5’/5.5’/4’
· Practical sized baja beach shelf

*Budget permitting we may consider adding a spa and/or screen enclosure.

Equipment:

· IntelliChlor SWC
· Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
· EasyTouch control
· IntelliBrite color-changing LED light/s

Decking

· Pavers that work well with house exterior and current covered patio flooring (all brick)

I have more 3d art, but could not include them in this post due to file size limits.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• 3d 1.jpg
    3d 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 3d 2.jpg
    3d 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 213
We did the intellibrite low voltage and they provide good light coverage. They could do 2 of the spa sized for the price of one larger one. That said we have 4 in the pool and one in the spa. I would put one on the sun shelf and one between the corner of the "L" and the bench.

It also appears the sun shelf is 4' wide. I would make it 6' so you can put chairs on it and still leave room for the kids to play. It seems like every time we have people over we tend to congregate around the sun shelf.

agreed on extending the sun shelf. If you keep design as is, I would design it so the last stair (pool floor) meets the main section of the pool. Also, what is the width of the main section of the pool? Do you have setback limitations? it looks like a lot of space remains between landscaping on side of pool and your fence.

Lastly, your pergola post is going to continue to be an obstacle for you. Have you considered putting the sun shelf on the side (right side when looking at pool from house) and extending the length of the pool? It may open up your walking space and pool side entertaining. Take a peak here: Las Vegas Build - It's like butter - Page 10

I agree with and like all of the above thoughts!

-bigger shelf

-switch sides

-longer pool

-lights not facing house or in the swim lane

You can become a supporting member (link at the top of this page) or use photobucket with the IMG code you can add more pics and we LOVE pics!

Kim:kim:

We have a somewhat similar design Bill (see link in signature below). What are the pool dimensions? Our tanning ledge/Baja shelf is 6 inches and we like it at that depth. If I could do mine over again (NO WAY!), I would add a second light in the pool as the one is just not bright enough.

Ours is 3.5x5x4 and I wouldn't want it to go any deeper. I'm 6' and 5' at the net is plenty deep when playing volleyball.

Best of luck with the process!

As for proposed depth, a lot of people say 5' max for sports pools without a deep end. I am 6'1" and 5.5' water depth has my mouth underwater. Also, always tons of debate on 3.5' vs. 4'. Thats really more of a swimmer vs. social pool user debate. We decided to go 3.5'/5'/4' as we are more the social type and will rarely be swimming laps. We also have 3 children under 3yo (2.5 yrs and 9mo twins) so the 3.5' will be a preferred section of the pool for some years to come for our kids.

Thank you for all of the great input. After discussions with my wife, we went back to the pool builder with the below information. I'll update this thread when I get the redesign. Thanks again!

- We would like to adjust the design to be more ‘free-form.’ We realize that we really prefer curves and rounded corners.
- We would like the sun shelf to be larger(maybe 10’wx6’L) and placed as close to the center of the pool as possible. We hope we can do this and maintain the ‘deep end in the middle’ concept (3.5’/5’/4’). Please see attached pics as design examples that we really like.
-We would like for one umbrella plug/holder to beon the sun shelf, in the water (maybe placed between the two bubblers?)
-We would like the lights to not be facing house or in the swim lane – also, add a 2
-We would like to add 3’ of decking behind th epool and push back the landscaping.
-We were thinking of maybe a more traditional looking paver decking and using stone (tomatch stone on the house/fireplace) instead of flagstone for the raised wall. Examples attached. Not sure yet on the coping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bill, all sound like good changes. Funny you are switching from straight lines to free form. We actually switched from free form to straight lines. And our initial design was very similar to what you are trying to accomplish (sun shelf in middle, sports depth, etc). One issue we ran into, that really was the main reason for the change in our design, was that here in FL the code requires that the main drain be 10' or more from the steps. Since we had our steps incorporated into our shelf in the middle of the pool, and our "deep end" was in the middle, we had to change our design. Not sure if this is the case, but I wanted to share. You can see our initial design, some other ideas provided along the way, and the final geometric design we finally decided to go with: New Build - South Florida Pool Outdoor Living - Page 3

Cant wait to see your new design!

- We would like the sun shelf to be larger(maybe 10’wx6’L) and placed as close to the center of the pool as possible. We hope we can do this and maintain the ‘deep end in the middle’ concept (3.5’/5’/4’). Please see attached pics as design examples that we really like.

-We were thinking of maybe a more traditional looking paver decking and using stone (tomatch stone on the house/fireplace) instead of flagstone for the raised wall. Examples attached. Not sure yet on the coping.

But, but, but.............see you said there WERE examples attached, see^^^^^^?? LOL If you are up to it share them I know it can be a pain to attach pics and such........

Here are the updated design pics. One thing that quickly came to mind was to possibly add a bench under the raised/rock wall. Would love to hear some input.

@ grumpiebk - Thx for info. I'll certainly be asking my PB about the code concern you mentioned.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

LOVE IT! Tell us the size please!

I think a bench on the curve wall will make it purrfect!

Why it works as I see it.........the shelf is big and VERY usable! Nice swim lane! Bench inside of curved wall-that will be a finishing touch as far as looks AND fun-tion.

I like the new design as well. But if you allow me to be critical....

- if you can add decking on the backside of the pool, could you not slide the pool back that same distance without the decking (like in your original design)? i feel this would open up your patio, especially around the pergola post, or allow you to increase the size of your pool (if desired)
- in your new design, the steps intrude quite a bit into the main area of the pool. i would either have them step down from the shelf before the main section of the pool or step down after the shelf and wrap to one side of the pool
- i really like the idea of the bench on the far side by the shear descents. In addition to a great spot to sit under the water feature, it is a perfect social spot facing your main deck entertainment area

Solid Design.

We originally wanted the umbrella in the pool but were talked out of it by several PBs. Structural integrity and bumping your face on the umbrella were two concerns. Don't know if either were valid points.

Here are the updated design pics. One thing that quickly came to mind was to possibly add a bench under the raised/rock wall. Would love to hear some input.

@ grumpiebk - Thx for info. I'll certainly be asking my PB about the code concern you mentioned.

A bench would be good under the wall IF you DON'T have kids...otherwise I would strongly recommend against it....kids LOVE jumping off walls into the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solid Design.

We originally wanted the umbrella in the pool but were talked out of it by several PBs. Structural integrity and bumping your face on the umbrella were two concerns. Don't know if either were valid points.

Not sure why they advised against it. Ours was planned from the beginning and a hole was left in the gunite. They then put the holder in and filled around it with plaster. Don't see how there would be a structural issue to the pool. Do you have to duck it to get in, yes. When it's 100 degrees is the area shaded by that umbrella the only place people are at in the pool, yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.