Design question

charrie5378

Mar 3, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hello all, first post here as we are 'taking the plunge' so to speak and building an in ground in Spring 2022. My husband and I love the look and function of splash decks/Baja shelves and this was a design our pool builder sent our way. 1' step, 4' shelf, and then another step down.

18x40 inground, steel/vinyl liner. Design is currently stairs and splash deck/shelf spanning the entire width of the pool. With that, Is a 10' shallow end too small? We have young kids and know they will use the diving board like crazy (can't pull my 5yo away at other's houses) but it really shortens the shallow end where I know sports will be played/socialization will happen. Just want to create the best space for ourselves and friends and family.

That’s the $64K question with a tanning shelf. @Casey just decided against a fiberglass design for that exact reason. We didn’t want to lose the open play/lounge space. I also enjoy casually swimming laps which become too short even for me with a shelf. But I can appreciate the interest in them for lounge chairs. But not so much kid space. Kids grow too fast. Unless one were to keep having them.

Reactions: mamaplanch
I slept one night on it and decided it was going to chew up too much swimming space. I'm going into debt for a "swimming" pool and not a "sitting" pool. I can sit on the side of it for that kinda money.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Welcome to TFP

What do you like / dislike about the neighbors pool, thats where I'd start. Our neighbor had a small area for the sallow end then the drop off for the slide. We would sit on saddles to float around the deeper part :cheers:. As for the size get a tape measure go to your backyard draw it out. Thats what we did when we were planning. We don't have teens anymore so our's more of a large conversation pit.
Good Luck.

m

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.