Design concepts for pool in Prosper, TX

Baseball mitt at the ready right next to the laptop. Always good to see someone with their priorities in order!

Overall, I like that design. It makes better use of the right side of the pool with lots of seating areas and makes it easy to talk to people on the patio, in the spa, watch tv, etc. while still having plenty of swimming space on the left.

The only thing I dont like is how close the spa spillover is to the table. I would make sure the spa spillover doesnt splash stuff on the table or be annoying to people sitting there. Talk to the PB about it, but maybe they could move it 6-12" to the left to avoid the spillover? Also I get the concept of going with a round table and no corners to bang into, but a rectangular one would fit better in that space.

Reactions: Brianlitt
i built a sports pool (shallow pool) and had dreams of wonderful volley ball games. I anticipated that with 8 adults/teenagers we could play 4 v 4 on a regular basis with friends. My pool is 18'x40', the shallow end is 3' deep, the middle area under net is flat and 3.5' deep, the deep end is 4'. my dreams turned out not to be true. It is surprising how little most folks can move in 3.5-4' of water. The only time we've had a successful volleyball game was with 16 adults/teenagers. Kid's generally 10 years and younger either don't have the arm strength, coordination or experience to hit a ball to any particular spot while in the pool. I've tried all types of balls, the most successful being the ones about the size of a basketball but light weight plastic (small beach ball). Our pool is vinyl so while that is good on the feet you have little traction. I'm 6'1" and can cover about a ~8'x8' area of the 4' deep part of the pool. That would mean I would need 6 of me to cover 1/2 the pool. In 3' I can cover more area and we could cover 1/2 the pool with only 4.

If I could do over I would ditch the volleyball idea and have put in a real deep end for shallow diving. I and the kids dive in the 4' deep area but we don't let guests do it. I've also had several dads just randomly jump in the pool at parties and do a cannonball (thank god) and they impact the bottom fairly significantly. If you do want to have a net i'm extremely happy with mine, I have stainless steel pipe inserted into the pool deck with SS covers for when the net is not actually put up. The net uses SS pipe with a top cap. The ropes supporting the net are Kevlar and I can tighten the net such that I can hang on it with one hand and it only pulls down a few inches. important because kids will be climbing pulling up on it when you aren't lookin' even after you tell them not too LOL.

That's a perfect pool for watermelon ball.

Okay here’s a mix of the two that may be even better. One side table, one side a shallow splash area.
Thoughts about step placement?
1588871065806.jpeg

Looks good. On the stairs, while I wish they were closer to the covered patio they would take up too much swimming space anywhere else. Will people have a way to get in/out over by the table without swimming through the deep end?

Reactions: GDN
Not sure how you feel about them, but consider not having the spa raised and making it pool level. With the design from the baseball not picture, it would flow great and not have the spillover bothering the table seating. Also makes conversations easier between the 2 sections. I've noticed with ours that people will stand in the pool section and talk with people in the spa alot.

Also consider doing a deep end. I feel way more comfortable when I'm actually swimming in the 6ft area. Even my 7 yr old son is out there way more than we thought he would be, but we have a bench back there so that may be helping that.

We also used Chris with Aquatecture (we're in Celina) and have a round table (see my profile pic). I would definitely have steps at the hot tub/table end. You won't want to walk to the other end of the pool to get in and out. Chris will do a SWCG. And as others have said, no one who has used our pool says it's salty...they have no idea. This was our first pool, but I'm very glad we went with the SWCG. Also pay attention to the splash area depth and how deep the first step in will be. We added a small step on our tanning ledge because we wanted the ledge to be a little deeper. AND, if you're going to connect the splash area with the seating for the table, again, pay attention to the depths. We had to make some changes as we are short people in this family, and the original seat depth would have put the table at my neck! Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm really conflicted on the different ways to approach it. Wife wants a table so that's mandatory (it's a removable table though)

Option 1) - have 1 table or the other (table could move, or in theory we coudl have two tables if we really wanted)
1588945672611.png

Option 2: Half shallow/splash area, half table. Note this area is always covered in shade after 12:00. It's a shallow place to sit in the water and still be around everyone. I'm somewhat a fan of moving the stairs off the sun ledge thing and having more open space at the bottom.
Littleton - 4420 Bristleleaf Ln - Matt3_003.jpg

Option 3: Full sun ledge, incorporate the table/seat in to the ledge by just 1 additional step. Height would need to be meticiulous but assuming it would be correct, there are some advantages.
LITTLETON, BRIAN AND LIZ 05.08.20 (1)_003.jpg

I'm so ready to just pull the trigger and stop thinking about this - i feel like we are so close.

Also, i asked about using Pentair instead of Jandy and one of the builders said "We can not do Pentair. We did in the past but switched to Jandy because it is much more efficient and a quieter pump. It allows us to have a 3” main suction line instead of a 2” with Pentair." Does Jandy vs Pentair make that much difference (I've read we generally favor Pentair here?)

Also, i asked about using Pentair instead of Jandy and one of the builders said "We can not do Pentair. We did in the past but switched to Jandy because it is much more efficient and a quieter pump. It allows us to have a 3” main suction line instead of a 2” with Pentair." Does Jandy vs Pentair make that much difference (I've read we generally favor Pentair here?)

That is a BS excuse. They are not going to tell you that they have a greater profit margin installing Jandy then they would Pentair. And they may not be a Pentair distributor.

Jandy has more proprietary parts to ensure that you will but their expensive eplacement parts when things break. For example a proprietary PSI gauge on their filters. And Jandy does not sell their products over the Internet or support DIY installation or repairs. Jandy will sell their products to pool builders at a lower cost knowing they will make more in future parts and the PB will count on future service calls. It is a different business model then Pentair.

I think you and your wife have to identify your priorities. A table and a decent size tanning ledge take up a good chunk of your swim lane and shallow pool area in your designs above. If you think you'll be swimming laps at all, you'll quickly be unhappy with the short swim lane. I personally don't like the one with steps into the deep end.

Have you considered putting the table and ledge at end opposite the hot tub? Not ideal if that's the deep end, but at least that leaves you a longer swim lane. And, if you leave the table and ledge near the hot tub, will that offset area at the other end be out of the sight line from the hot tub? Could be a concern with smaller kids in the pool if they might be hidden over there?

With a limited amount of space, you've just got to fine tune your priorities...easier said than done!

I like this last design. The grown ups can sit and enjoy talking and you are all still watching the kids. It all looks really pretty. Totally regret not going with a SWG on our recent renovation. Have a Polaris cleaner, but when this dies will get a robot that gets plugged in to the outlet. Much simpler.

Of all of your designs I like #3 in post 31 best. I would keep the steps on that end of the pool for sure, I don't like them down on the other end. You've resolved that by having that long bench which is very nice down there - can be used to get out. I don't understand the desire for a table, however we are all different. I would by all means make it a removable table and not built in. I just seem to think over time or with a pool full of kids that is a huge amount of space that will be better used not having the table in the way. The tanning ledge is one of our favorite parts of the pool - the dogs love it for sure.

Thank you all for your guidance, it's been so helpful.

What are your thoughts on the equipment?
Pump: Pentair Intelliflo VSF
Pump: WhisperFlo 1.5hp, UR pump
Heater: Master temp 400k BTU Lo Nox
Filter: FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE
Computer: Intellicenter i5PS with SCG
Cleaner: Pentair Prowler 930
Ic40 salt water system

One of my concerns is regarding the non VSF pump. We have 3 water spouts (water feature). I have heard that if you have a second pump you have to run it constantly during the winter and since it's single speed it will be an energy hog.

What's the consensus here on the "other" pump?

Thank you all for your guidance, it's been so helpful.

What are your thoughts on the equipment?
Pump: Pentair Intelliflo VSF
Pump: WhisperFlo 1.5hp, UR pump
Heater: Master temp 400k BTU Lo Nox
Filter: FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE
Computer: Intellicenter i5PS with SCG
Cleaner: Pentair Prowler 930
Ic40 salt water system

One of my concerns is regarding the non VSF pump. We have 3 water spouts (water feature). I have heard that if you have a second pump you have to run it constantly during the winter and since it's single speed it will be an energy hog.

What's the consensus here on the "other" pump?

Chris put in this same WhisperFlo for us, and it's loud IMO...nothing "whisper" about that thing! It was too late to change by the time we found TFP, but someone here told me it was a high-head pump I think? I didn't and still don't really understand what that meant, but I do know it's loud. And yes, when in freeze protection it runs a lot. This winter was pretty mild around here, but it ran all night several times. I don't know what the cost difference is for a 2nd variable speed pump, but I'd definitely consider it. You might look back at my posts from when we built...maybe you can find that comment on the pump.

Hi. If i understand, the table / spa end is in the shade after 12, correct? If so i'd move the table/sitting area to the other end. You'll want to be in the sun when in the pool (especially during sedate periods where you can get chilly in the shade). As we get shade late in the day everyone moves toward where the sun is without realizing it. The spa is fine in the shad since it's going to be hot water. I like moving the sitting area away from the spillover too. They are noisy and you'll soon tire of talking loud enough just to overcome the splashing noise. I find that water features are nice to look at from the kitchen window but not so good when you're trying to socialize due to their noise. Looks great no matter what you decide! Just some food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

Option 2 but eliminate the stairs at the far end you dont need them...you can just put stairs at the bottom of the small sundeck
I feel like that will give you the most bang for the space. Your wife gets her table you get more siwmmable pool. The stairs around that tight corner will be kinda awkward IMO. Overall I like where you are going.

Reactions: Brianlitt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.