Depth Question

Jul 30, 2017
Clermont
Hello All,

The dig is happening tomorrow and I need to finalize my depth choice today. The pool is 37 feet long by 15 feet wide and is a volleyball style set up. 5 feet deep in the middle 3.5 feet deep on one end and 3 feet deep on the other. What are your thoughts with these depths. I am 5'7" and my wife is 5'2". Our girls are shrimps too! Rectangular shape pool. Thanks in Advance

We did 3'/5'/4.5 and I wish we did 4.5' on both ends. You guys are a little shorter than us though I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'7'. The 3' depth is pretty shallow right at waistline on me when I stand up and it is a pretty extreme slope to the 5' depth but your pool is also about 5 feet wider so may not be as step. . I pretty much never stand on this end because my upper body gets pretty cold quickly even in the Texas heat.

Is there a community pool/ neighbors pool you can go to? Worst case use a tape measure. Some of it is personal preference. If you don't think you'll play a lot of volley ball I would go deeper to get better Jumping. The slope increases a bit and you loose a little of the shallow ends but for use it was worth it.

Somewhere in my pictures I posted some showing the slope. You could always go 3'"9 on both sides. Just remember the hole get dug deeper than the final depth. So it may look deep tomorrow but it gets built up with the gunnite and a small amount by the plaster

Is there a community pool/ neighbors pool you can go to? Worst case use a tape measure. Some of it is personal preference. If you don't think you'll play a lot of volley ball I would go deeper to get better Jumping. The slope increases a bit and you loose a little of the shallow ends but for use it was worth it.

Somewhere in my pictures I posted some showing the slope. You could always go 3'"9 on both sides. Just remember the hole get dug deeper than the final depth. So it may look deep tomorrow but it gets built up with the gunnite and a small amount by the plaster

We do have a community pool and it is a zero entry which goes to 5.5 feet. One neighbor stated he wish his shallow end was less than 4 feet

Pool depth is tailored to each family. We like diving and swimming underwater (throwing things and going down to get them) so we opted for a 9 foot depth (3.5' - 9'). We also have a good sized sundeck that is 1'. Your depth seems shallow to me even though I like a deep pool.

Pool depth is tailored to each family. We like diving and swimming underwater (throwing things and going down to get them) so we opted for a 9 foot depth (3.5' - 9'). We also have a good sized sundeck that is 1'. Your depth seems shallow to me even though I like a deep pool.
I like deep pools too but live in Florida which has a water table not too far below the surface so a deep pool requires significant reinforcement as well as a lot of risk for future issues. Most pools in Florida are 5-6ft. A 9ft deep pool sounds incredible!!

Sorry correction to my post above and one day I will get this right.. Our pool is 4.5'/5'/3.5' for some reason I always round down the poor little 3.5! Anyway still wish we did 4.5/5/4.5 the 3.5 seems a little shallow and 3' would really seem shallow.

It's a pool that you can also play volleyball in, not a volleyball court that happens to have a little water. lol. I think you want a pool, not a puddle. I wouldn't worry about volleyball when deciding part of the fun is the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been reading A LOT on here for weeks now - many suggest starting at 4'. We changed ours from 3'6" to 4' because of this forum :) My kiddos are 5 and 8 years old, they aren't getting any shorter! LOL I think my husband and I will like that it isn't to our waist line.

Never understood 6 foot depth. Too shallow for diving and too deep for anyone (who doesn’t play in the NBA) to stand in. Unless you like treading water that is just a few inches too deep to stand in, I just don’t see the purpose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.