Welcome to the forum!
did I waste my time, chlorine, and electricity all this time doing nothing but making sure it didn't get worse?
You did not waste your time. Technically, as long as the FC is above minimum for your CYA, it is killing algae. It just takes ALOT longer.
And, will it likely take another full week to clear it?
Maybe. Maybe less. Maybe more. With it being stagnant for over a year, longer is my bet. Have you gotten ALL solid debris out of the pool?
Test results look great. Just test FC for now. Be sure to clean the cartridge filter when the pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.
Also, start to figure out how you can take those steps out of the pool. They will be covered in algae.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

How often are you adding and testing chlorine? I would bump your chlorine higher (20 or so) I would bet your CYA is higher than 40. Can you post a picture of what you see looking down in the CYA tube?

I agree with @mknauss, you did not waste your time! First of all you have a real test kit so good job, that is half your battle. Follow the advice here at TFP and your pool will be crystal clear sparkling water in no time!

I'd consider conducting a SLAM until the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) passes. After that it will just be letting your filter do its job.

Have you gotten ALL solid debris out of the pool?
Test results look great. Just test FC for now. Be sure to clean the cartridge filter when the pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.
Also, start to figure out how you can take those steps out of the pool. They will be covered in algae.
I think so. We go out every night with a leaf rake, plus brushing the sides. We've had quite a few thunderstorms over the past couple days so we made sure to scoop after those too.
Cartridge gets cleaned once in the morning before work, and twice in the evening. It doesn't really get up to 25%, but since we clogged two of them already we figured we couldn't be too careful.
Good call about the steps! I assumed that would need to be done but it'll take some maneuvering, they were too heavy for my boyfriend and his dad to lift when they power washed the outside steps and our patio a month ago, but I think its weighted down with water so some moving it around should do the trick.

How often are you adding and testing chlorine? I would bump your chlorine higher (20 or so) I would bet your CYA is higher than 40. Can you post a picture of what you see looking down in the CYA tube?
I do it three times during the week: once before work, as soon as I get home, and before bed. During the weekend I did it 5 or 6 times a day but only for 12 ppm. I will do another CYA test tonight and show it. I put it at my waist yesterday with my back against the sun and filled to a line, then glanced away and back again like I read on here to do. It was between 30 and 40. I also had my BF glance and see if he could see the dot at that line and he couldn't either. Since I have a vinyl liner, if my CYA really is 40 would bumping to 20 hurt it? Last Saturday (4 days before starting the proper SLAM) we dumped 5 gallons of 10% in at once before we realized that was a big no-no.

I agree with @mknauss, you did not waste your time! First of all you have a real test kit so good job, that is half your battle. Follow the advice here at TFP and your pool will be crystal clear sparkling water in no time!

I'd consider conducting a SLAM until the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) passes. After that it will just be letting your filter do its job.
Definitely planning on SLAMing til it's clear and the test passes, I can only see about 6 in deep right now :LOL: We've been running the filter 24/7 except for rinses for about 3 weeks now.

Hey M and Welcome !!!
We go out every night with a leaf rake
how much crud is left in the pool ? I ask because that should be the #1 priority. The decomposing gunk will chew through your chlorine and make you spin your wheels a good deal. Keep the FC up in the meantime, but the crud needs to go.
I do it three times during the week: once before work, as soon as I get home, and before bed. During the weekend I did it 5 or 6 times a day but only for 12 ppm
Excellent job on the weekend. It takes prolonged time at SLaM level to work. As in constant level……. M for maintain. We recommend every 2 hours testing, adding to SLaM and then confirm you hit the target 20 mins later. Do the best you can to get the crud out during the week and 2 days of babysitting next weekend should get you over the hump to where the FC holds much longer and you can resume work/life on Monday with 2 or 3 daily tests the rest of the duration.

Hope the good folks don't mind a rank newbie chiming in...
Steps... mine have a removable weight, a cylinder full of sand that slips in a hole in a middle step, that can be removed and suction cups on the bottom for feet. Look for a weight to remove and see if you can break the suction cups loose, if it has them, mine have a tab to pull on but you have to reach them! Anyway, after removing the weight and breaking the suction cups loose I can remove my steps by myself and they are pretty big.

I forgot to mention in my original post that we are having a white mold problem. Shreds of it comes out in our filter every night. Should the SLAM level of chlorine take care of the mold AND algae problem? We got the steps out last night, covered in green and black algae so I expect to see more progress with those out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forgot to mention in my original post that we are having a white mold problem. Shreds of it comes out in our filter every night. Should the SLAM level of chlorine take care of the mold AND algae problem? We got the steps out last night, covered in green and black algae so I expect to see more progress with those out.

Yes, I also had that issue, its almost like a paper pulp. Found it in my filter cartridge whenever I would clean the cartridge. A SLAM will help clear a lot of that up!

I think that dropping the ph some more might help you too. You do that with muriatic acid. 7.0-7.2. That will help the bleach do it’s thing. Since your TA is a little high it will lower it too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.