Delay to Build Vinyl Pool

Bcru

Jun 29, 2022
Alabama
Hello. I live on the Gulf Coast. My builder started excavation in April and told me it would take 6 weeks "start to finish" for a vinyl in-ground pool. Things got off to a great start with excavation, walls, and collar all done in 2 weeks. Then the delays began... There has been very little progress over the past 7 weeks. The builder comes out about once every 10 days and spends a couple of hours working on the pool, but little visible progress is made. We've had a few rainy days, but it has actually been drier than most summers. When I ask for an estimated completion date he just says "I'm working on it". He is a licensed pool contractor and came with good recommendations. At this slow pace, I definitely won't be swimming this summer.

I paid 50% up front with the other 50% due upon completion. At what point is the pool considered to be 50% complete? Is it at the point of having the collar poured?

Thank you!

At what point is the pool considered to be 50% complete? Is it at the point of having the collar poured?

Welcome to TFP.

"Completion" should have been defined in your contract.

If it is not, my position would be that completion is when all equipment is installed and operating, water is in the pool, and you can swim in it.

Welcome to TFP.

"Completion" should have been defined in your contract.

If it is not, my position would be that completion is when all equipment is installed and operating, water is in the pool, and you can swim in it.
Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to figure out if my project has reached the halfway point since I have paid 50% of the cost. The contract defines completion as "pool is circulating with decks installed". Walls are in place and the collar has been poured. Backfill is done. The drains are in place at the bottom of the pool (surrounded by gravel), but the ground has not been prepped for the liner. The equipment pad has not been started.

I would very much like to know how quickly this can be completed, but my builder is not willing to commit to a timeframe. The contract states 6 weeks and we are going to be way past that. From what I have read, I really have no other options than to wait it out.

Does it sound like completion has reach the halfway point?

I would very much like to know how quickly this can be completed,
My electric took a day, my plumbing/pad took a day and the liner prep/install took a day.

The electricians and plumbers would be too crowded at the equipment pad on the same day.

My liner crew was the only one who didn't reschedule me several times. So while you are close to completion, it may still be a minute getting everyone to finish up the pool.

It seemed my PB was too focused on every step when many could have been done independently. My liner could have been ordered the day the shell passed inspection and the plumbing and electric started as well. But it was three 2 hour visits working on the plumbing spread over two weeks, then the plumbing inspection, then the electric install, then the electric inspection, then the liner was ordered and then we had to wait for that. 3 days worth took 6 weeks.

Why does determining what is the 50% complete point matter?

The next payment si due at 100% complete. That is the only event that matters now.

Because I thought about firing the PB everyday, starting the moment I had more work accomplished than I paid for.

Many, many times a day. :ROFLMAO:

If you did you would discover the next 50% would have cost you 70% or more of your orginal contact price. The next guy is rarely better or a bargin.

Reactions: Lanzz
If you did you would discover the next 50% would have cost you 70% or more of your orginal contact price. The next guy is rarely better or a bargin.
I know. And the lawyers fees and possible enforcing of the payment of the original contract kept me from walking myself. I'm simply saying I probably get why the question was asked. 😁

Yes, that is why I asked the question about reaching the halfway mark. I would like to bring on a new builder, but I believe they are all booked for several months. This is the most frustrating financial problem I have ever dealt with. I did my research before hiring him and everything checked out. I'm so disappointed in the way this has turned out. I now realize that my situation is very common, but that doesn't make me feel better.

Reactions: Newdude
Talk to other builders in your area and see how they respond to taking on a build at mid-project. I think you may find no one has interest.

Don’t pull the cord on your current builder until you find another interested in picking up the work..

Unless you want to do it as an Owner Build.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im shocked that IG liner pools take that long. My last one, which was done in 18 was a 18x38 lagoon style was completed less concrete decking in 3 days.
That is how the good vinyl PB's do it. With good weather and the right crew, very possible to complete vinyl pool in 10 days or less, concrete decking included. Unfortunately, I tried to save what at the time was a not insignificant few bucks and picked a different one. I've looked at firing PB as well, but no guarantee next one is any better, plus it will cost a ton more, plus there's the requisite delay of 2 weeks to 200 years depending on the PB. Anyone else have any regerts? :handwave:

Reactions: Newdude
Hello. I live on the Gulf Coast. My builder started excavation in April and told me it would take 6 weeks "start to finish" for a vinyl in-ground pool. Things got off to a great start with excavation, walls, and collar all done in 2 weeks. Then the delays began... There has been very little progress over the past 7 weeks. The builder comes out about once every 10 days and spends a couple of hours working on the pool, but little visible progress is made. We've had a few rainy days, but it has actually been drier than most summers. When I ask for an estimated completion date he just says "I'm working on it". He is a licensed pool contractor and came with good recommendations. At this slow pace, I definitely won't be swimming this summer.

I paid 50% up front with the other 50% due upon completion. At what point is the pool considered to be 50% complete? Is it at the point of having the collar poured?

Thank you!
I would just stand Pat , we are in different times where longer delays are quite possible. My pool an extra 3 months and it is what it is - you’ve already paid 50 so when it’s done then you’ll pay the rest. Plan on not using it this summer and if you do it’s a bonus. But this is a project you just don’t want to rush as irritated as you may get (I’ve been there)

The latest reason for delays is rain, which I understand is legitimate. My question is this... how dry does the work site have to be? I live on the Gulf Coast, where we get a shower at least a few days a week during the summer. It would take a drought to become completely dry.

The latest reason for delays is rain, which I understand is legitimate. My question is this... how dry does the work site have to be? I live on the Gulf Coast, where we get a shower at least a few days a week during the summer. It would take a drought to become completely dry.
How dry depends on the stage of work you're doing. Can't be too wet when you're doing the floor, pouring the concrete collar, setting the deck, etc. As long as it's not muddy/sloppy, they should be able to do things like install plumbing and other things.

What ever you do, DO NOT PAY HIM A DIME more until he is done. You want to get him in a situation where he did more than 50% of the work and you have the upper hand on the payments. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.