Degrading of Liquid Chlorine

Reed Kadavy

Silver Supporter
Nov 22, 2015
Gilbert AZ
I can still get liquid chlorine at Home Depot in Gilbert AZ but, like other places they have quit getting new shipments. What would be the worse case scenario with 10pct chlorine produced July 1st that has been stored outside in the shade? Would I be better off with 6pct chlorine that has been stored inside?

I believe so. Even 6% stored right next to the 10% would be better, because the higher the percent the more it degrades.

FYI...I bought 10% HD brand chlorine at Baseline and Country Club on Sept 16th and it was dated only 2 weeks prior. Are you sure your store is not restocking with fresh stuff? I found fresh chlorine all year long last winter in Gilbert/Mesa Home Depots. You still have to watch for old inventory being placed out at times when they've lost a pallet for a few months.

FYI...I bought 10% HD brand chlorine at Baseline and Country Club on Sept 16th and it was dated only 2 weeks prior. Are you sure your store is not restocking with fresh stuff? I found fresh chlorine all year long last winter in Gilbert/Mesa Home Depots. You still have to watch for old inventory being placed out at times when they've lost a pallet for a few months.

This store is actually in Queen Creek. I bought my last supply on 8/25 with a 7/1 date and last night I checked and the boxes on the pallet still were dated 7/1. I’ll check some other stores in my area.
Oddly enough when I checked my pool today CL was 5.0 using FAS-DPD. I added enough CL to bring level up to 8.0 using 7/1 dated CL I had on hand and let it circulate a couple of hours. It was right on the money at 8.0 even when the CL was stored outside in a plastic box in our AZ heat. Go figure.

Chlorine should be good for up to six months, if reasonably stored, so you're not getting totally unexpected results.

I believe so. Even 6% stored right next to the 10% would be better, because the higher the percent the more it degrades.
Well, no, that's not right. 10% will decay faster but once it gets to 6% it'll decay as fast as the 6% would...except the 6% is now 3.5-4%. So the 10% same age, same storage will always have more left than the 6%.

I wrote it wrong / you read it wrong.

The OP's question was "Would I be better off with 6pct chlorine..."

I meant he'd lose less in value, and he'd have less trouble in using it with Pool Math, because the amount of chlorine would be closer to what it was supposed to be with the 6%. Not that the chlorine amount in 10% would drop below that of the 6%.

So with 6% he'd be "better off" in practical use and actual cost.

Ha, not sure that was any clearer! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.