Defecting from team Stenner to RJ60+

Ok I think I’m starting to get it… Less fluctuation with higher CYA makes sense, of course.
Two things:
1) Higher CYA allows for lower SWCG demand, lengthening plate life.
2) SWCG doesn't get sick, tired, or go on vacation. So the risk of higher CYA (basically impossible to SLAM) is negated by the consistency of the SWCG.

Two things:
1) Higher CYA allows for lower SWCG demand, lengthening plate life.
2) SWCG doesn't get sick, tired, or go on vacation. So the risk of higher CYA (basically impossible to SLAM) is negated by the consistency of the SWCG.
Also running the FC at the high side of target gives you some extra time to catch a problem when something slides south.

All great points @Newdude @reggiehammond and @wireform ! Thank you!

So on the plus side for a high CYA, I'm getting less chlorine demand (and more cell life), less daily FC fluctuation, and a bit more room for error... so I'm less likely to run into a problem. But on the downside, if I do run into a problem, I'm in for a rough SLAM. So lower likelihood of a SLAM -- but worsened impact of a SLAM.

Ok, I think I can take that risk! In any case, my CYA is now at about 60, and slowly targeting 70. And the RJ60+ is a hoppin': in fact, with the pool covered in the recent rains, I had to turn it off for a bit when I hit FC=12.5. Hopefully I can titrate it to a stable-ish steady state this week with the mix of clouds and sun.

Reactions: Newdude
So lower likelihood of a SLAM -- but worsened impact of a SLAM.
That about sums it up perfectly.

Continue to mess around at 8 to 12.5 FC. We will *never* discuss your swamp.

Ever.

I was just telling someone worried about phosphates the exact same thing (because similar applies with a high level and worse SLAM). It's far easier to not get the algae, than to worry / react about how bad it might be if you do.

Reactions: Sampo