Deep Green Algae pool start up

UncleVen

Apr 26, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Had to go away for 3+ weeks- I came back and the pool is a mess. Green. Yea.
Prior to leaving I had tried the bottle of algaecide and it made no dent - and I knew I'd have a fight on my hands when I got back.(approx 30K gallon pool with sand filter in Charlotte, NC) I'm no pool expert- and not nearly as technical as you guys here on the forum.

So with rain coming I grabbed a bottle of FLOC and added it last evening knowing I could use rain (on the way) water to assist refilling the pool.

In the past FLOC has been the miracle to crystal clear water that I couldn't get balanced. Typically 6-12 hours was all it took. Today ((13 hours later)) it looks the same.

So this morning I have read a bunch of your pool school articles and am kicking myself for not getting rid of the algae first. But before I start down the road to SLAM...

My first question is what to do about the FLOC. I will likely let it sit for the full 48 hours BUT I do not expect it to be the miracle I expected of all the bad stuff sitting at the bottom of the pool. I will assume after 48 hours the pool will still be green and terrible. Is it safe to turn back on filter as I go after the algae? I am assuming I may have to backwash quite a bit and then clean the sand once I have a clean pool but I dont want to harm the filter in the process either.

Thanks for the guidance.

Attachments

• pool-bad.jpg
    pool-bad.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Welcome! :wave: If you already added the floc, keep it out of the filter. Vacuum to waste as much as possible once the debris has settled. That can be a painstaking, slow proces, but that's one reason we stay away from floc. But now you know. Yes, follow the SLAM Process process after to get back on track. Use a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) to maintain the proper SLAM FC level based on your current CYA FC/CYA Levels.

Make sure to update your signature and let us know if you have any questions about how to proceed. Lots of folks here eager to help. Good luck!

Last edited:
Turn the multiport to waste and vacuum out as much crud as you can. That's an early step in the SLAM anyway. Then reach for the bleach. You'll be backwashing a bunch anyway, so hopefully you'll be rid of the floc. But you can always do a Deep Cleaning after the SLAM is done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.