Deep cleaned sand filter - now leaking

rvathomas

Apr 10, 2019
Virginia
Hi - I just completed following instructions on the super helpful post about deep cleaning the sand filter. I've now put everything back together and opened the pool, and the sand filter is now leaking (slowly) around the collar, and leaking out of the waste valve while the filter is on the "filter" setting. The collar is super tight - any tighter and I'm afraid I'm going to break the screws. Also I can't figure out why water is coming out (slowly again) of the waste port. Any ideas on this? Was I supposed to wrap anything in teflon tape after taking off the top of the filter to clean it?

Sounds like some issues remain around your collar or multiport valve itself. Did you happen to re-lube as needed when you reinstalled? Perhaps an o-ring or something got pinched along the way? The water seeping to waste sounds like your spider gasket.

mine was an o-ring and not easily visible because it was black on black. I was also overly careful about making sure I slid it back in slowly and squarely to avoid anything getting pinched. I think the lube I have is called Jack's Magic or something like that. Made for pools

I see two problems.
1) leaking around collar
2) leaking from waste port.

There has to be an O-ring somewhere between the multiport and the filter body. The collar is there to compress it and seal things up. If the O-ring got lost, you'd have a fountain coming out around the collar, so most likely it's just gotten stiff with age and no longer seals right. Lube may help, but if it's all coming apart anyway to lube things, buy a new O-ring. You'll probably end up in the dreaded poolstore buying the O-ring and they will sell gladly you a tube of aqua-lube.

They can also sell you a new spider gasket. There are a lot of videos on youtube showing how to do it.

Thanks all! I'll have to take it apart this weekend and see what I can find. I do have magic lube, so I'll first try adding the lube and putting back. I'll also look to see if there's any sand in there. I can't believe it never crossed my mind to look for an o-ring inside the collar.

Does anyone know where other than a pool store you can find a replacement o-ring for a hayward sand filter collar?

Does anyone know where other than a pool store you can find a replacement o-ring for a hayward sand filter collar?
Online you can probaly get one on Amazon, InyoPools, or PoolSupply. Locally, you'd have to Google your local stores I suppose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.