Decking - Finally our pool build

1) "1 load of gravel in the floor" means nothing - What is a "load". Is it a 1 CY masons dump or a 19 CY tri-axle, or somewhere in between. Might as well say everything will be "compacted real well" - specs like that drive me up a tree
It's one of those things I'll just look at when the pour it and make sure it is right. I'll take pics and share to be sure. Agree tho on the specs. I would be more concerned if it was one of the newer builders in town. Thanks for the talk on paralysis by analysis. I just want a 6' for some reason but it's not too objective or evidence based.

Hey Walkinpool: we just finished our 6 month stressful build - small relaxation pool- last week - getting ready for pool school tomorrow. Look at this beauty - so relieved and excited! On depth - we never thought about deeper than 5’5” because we had a large 7’ vinyl lined pool for 25 years And I had the same opinion as your wife. I am 5’3 - my husband is 6’4”. Our contract was for a 3.5 - 5.5 - but the end result is actually just shy of 5’ at water level, because I can stand up at the end and the water line is at the middle of my chin. So - I now wish we had gone for 6 1/2 feet in order to clear swim (or walk) at a water depth closer to the high 5’s - if that makes sense. It won’t be exact. My husband contends that with only a 21’ length, the floor would have descended too steeply for comfort and the purpose of our pool is relaxation. So actually - he’s good with it. Me? I have no choice but I encourage you to go for the additional 6”. I think you will both end up with what you want. Hope this helps.
oh nice, congrats on the pool! Ya the builder did ensure me, in email, it will be 5.5' of water not to coping or anything like that. I'm going to discuss it in a bit as they are jack hammering now want to make the call today.

I like deeper pools. I like to dive. Kids love to dive and in my current pool its too shallow (just under 6') so when kids are with friends I'm constantly on guard to remind them "No Diving". Floating in 7' of water is the same as floating in 4'....but you have more options to swim in the former rather than the latter.

Deeper pools are safer pools for dives and cannon balls.

Deeper pools also stay cooler in the deep end in hot July and August. In Texas you need a pool cooler for shallow pools.

My two cents

Maddie :flower:

Rebar is in. What do y'all think? 2 things i've already brought up, the contract says 4 bar bond beam. Is this 3? and OC varies between 9 and 11". Contract is 9”

Am I understanding what a 4 bar bond beam is? and what's the OC tolerance here? The contract clearly states what it should be so I'll bring that up. But what is the actual consequence? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.15.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.15.09 AM.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.14.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.14.54 AM.png
    766.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    591.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.12.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.12.26 AM.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Builder is going to make it a 4 bar bond beam. That is the way they do pools. Waiting to see that happen this week.

It’s difficult to find structural engineering info on the web for the out of ground walls. It does appear sturdy.

On another note my electrician came by to get ready for tomorrow’s house service upgrade. Energy Co cuts power in the morning then electrician has until ~2 to do the upgrade. Fingers crossed all goes well and power back on in the afternoon.

Pool + spa + heat pump + car charger. Needed a bit more juice.

For those in Austin it’s taken 6 months to line up electrician, energy, and city to get this done. So get on it if you need an upgrade.

Builder is going to make it a 4 bar bond beam. That is the way they do pools. Waiting to see that happen this week.

It’s difficult to find structural engineering info on the web for the out of ground walls. It does appear sturdy.

I have a Masters in Civil Engineering and took many materials, construction, and reinforced concrete classes (and labs). I have not done any of that work in years, but I still understand the concepts.

You are not going to find structural engineering info on the web. There are too many factors that come into play to be able to make a blanket statement such as "it should be xx inches thick, with xx bars at xx spacing"

It is an interplay between concenter strength, the size of the aggregate in the concrete, the size of the bars, the spacing of the bars, additives in the concrete mix, and the thickness of the pour. Too many bars, or bars t0o close together can be just as bad as too few or too close a spacing. More is not always better, it could be just a waste of money or it could actually make things worse.

I look at your pictures and I see bar right up against forms without space for adequate cover, but then these are just pictures and maybe I'm not looking at them right. It is very hard to made a call when you are not there, and you don't know how it was designed in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I look at your pictures and I see bar right up against forms without space for adequate cover, but then these are just pictures and maybe I'm not looking at them right. It is very hard to made a call when you are not there, and you don't know how it was designed in the first place.
Your feedback makes sense, thanks! I'll take more pics on the vertical bars up the wall and bond beam. I'm assuming the bars you are seeing up against the forms is the vertical mat.

Tried to capture spacing between the rebar and wall forms.

Again, it is one picture and I don't know the full plan or story. But, I do not like seeing organic soils and in this case grass inside a form. Nothing should be poured on organic soils.

A rule of thumb for concrete that is being poured against earth is 3" of cover, and most of the time 2" is fine for normal pours against forms. Too little cover and your rebar will rust, and may not develop correct strength (concrete and steel work together, concrete provides the compressive strength and steel the tensile). Too much cover can be bad too because of cracking.

Reactions: walkinpool
I'm about to dive into plumbing with the builder. Is the one intellflo pump enough for the pool and one 36" water feature? I think this is fine from what I read on TFP however want to be sure as still easy to change.

I'll go over to be able to control the water feature, sundeck bubblers, and pool separately through what I assume are the valves. Thanks!

Plumbing is in! Next step is electrical, permit approval, gunite. Gunite will go in this month.

So far the builder has been very responsive and answered/alleviated my concerns. The last one is to put gravel under the pool floor or not. I am on limestone rock here and am now being told for my pool it isn't required. I'm searching TFP on gravel threads now...

✋Pentair microbrites question. I noticed the PVC sleeve is at least 2" in diameter. Is this right? I am going to ask the builder if they plan to reduce this to 1.5" as required for microbrites. Anyone have a build I could look at to follow along? :) . Thanks

A few updates also for me to have documented in TFP!
* Electrical is partially approved. There is one more bend in the light conduit than allowed by NEC. This can be fixed after gunite, near the equipment pad.
* I'm sure i've been driving my builder crazy but they are giving me a lot of time to nit pick. Get that gunite shot :).
* steel crew came by Tuesday and beefed up the water feature wall and reinforced the sun deck a bit more.
* Gunite is tentatively scheduled for 6/29 🤞.

Builder thinks they'll be out of here in about 10 weeks. Which would be awesome. I'm not getting my hopes up and expect it to take through September. Can't wait to share gunite pics next week!

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.