Decking - Finally our pool build

walkinpool

Gold Supporter
Jul 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Hey folks,

Our failed pool build from years ago seems like a lifetime away. We since have moved to a new home and started the dig last Friday! I didn't want to post anything until the dig started. I have scar tissue from our previous pool falling through at our old house, hah. But it's happening!

I attached pictures of the first day of digging and overall design. I'll be back to post more detailed specs about equipment, material, etc soon. Looking forward to sharing and capturing great feedback from TFP!

First question:
The pool is 3.5' to 5.5' deep, total water level depth. We struggled between 5.5' or 6'. I want 6', wife wants 5.5'. I've read the threads on this one and still don't know. Are we really missing anything by not going to 6'?

Pool Specs

Attachments

• tempImageDCZUam.png
    tempImageDCZUam.png
    5 MB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.20 AM.png
    218 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.15 AM.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.20.10 AM.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I have scar tissue from our previous pool falling through at our old house, hah. But it's happening
When the universe closes a door...... open it. That’s how doors work. :)

Glad to see you’re back on track !!
Are we really missing anything by not going to 6'?
It’s FAR too subjective. To the folks who want a play/lounge pool, 6’ might as well be 20’ deep. What I *can* promise you is they are all equally wet. And when it’s hot out and you are enjoying the pool, none of it matters. So you float in this one, dive in that one and play volleyball in the other. We as a people are awesomely adaptive like that.

Reactions: Jmerges and Snoobug
I'm thinking of an Austin build myself and I'd love to hear how your excavation went with a mini excavator. Our yard won't allow access to the larger earth movers.
Hmm we have quite an opening to help get in and out. Here's what the opening looks like. The company I'm using seemed fairly flexible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.14.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.14.24 AM.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 57
It’s FAR too subjective. To the folks who want a play/lounge pool, 6’ might as well be 20’ deep. What I *can* promise you is they are all equally wet. And when it’s hot out and you are enjoying the pool, none of it matters. So you float in this one, dive in that one and play volleyball in the other. We as a people are awesomely adaptive like that.
Thanks for the positivity! We probably have about 1 week left until it is locked in, steel going in within the next week.

Reactions: Jmerges and Newdude
Specs below

General
  • Pool Dimensions – 32.5’ x 15’ (not including sun-shelf)
  • Pool Perimeter – 112’
  • Pool Surface Area – 552
  • Pool Depth- 3.5’ -> 5.5’ 6'
  • Steps/Benches – 53’
  • Sun Shelf – 70 SF with two bubblers and umbrella sleeve
  • Total Gallons : 14,000
Shell
  • 1 load of gravel in the floor
  • Shell – 9” centers on ½” rebar, tied both ways or per engineered
  • Bond Beam – ½” four bar beam
  • Alternate Stress Bars – as needed
Gunite
  • 12” bond beam, 10”-12” floors
  • Shell to be waterproofed with Miracote Aqua-blok
  • All above grade walls to be 12”
Plumbing
  • Pipes –Schedule 40 PVC
  • 6 directional inlets (returns)
  • Skimmers – Two CMP or A & A (with water bond)
  • Drains –VGB compliant A & A AVSC channels & pebble plaster top
  • Pool pipes – 2.5” suction, 2” returns
  • Auto Fill - CMP Float
  • Overflow line included
Equipment
  • Filter pump – Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP variable speed
  • Filter – Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge 520
  • Cleaner – Polaris 9650IQ Sport
  • Automation – Pentair Intellicenter for mobile devices
  • Sanitizer – Pentair Intellichlor Ic40 Cell
  • Pool lights – three colored Pentair MicroBrite LEDs
  • Heat Pump – Penatair Ultratemp 140 H/C
  • Valves – premium Jandy style valves
Misc
  • Coping – lueders stone 2.25” thick (w/ stone skimmer lids to match coping)
  • Water feature – 36” Bobe
  • Plaster - Pebble Sheen
  • Deck - Reinforcement – ½” rebar on 12” centers, tied both ways, w/ 6” of concrete
  • Deck material - travertine

Totally forgot about the Spa. We are dropping in a standalone spa from Marquis.

Last edited:
Shell to be waterproofed with Miracote Aqua-blok
This one is a fleece job, and a $1200(?) one at that. Your finish completely and 100% waterproofs the shell. If it keeps the water off the gunite, then the gunite doesn't need further waterproofing. I'm sure they'll make up some nonsense about bonding better or some crud but it's total bullfeathers.

This one is a fleece job, and a $1200(?) one at that. Your finish completely and 100% waterproofs the shell. If it keeps the water off the gunite, then the gunite doesn't need further waterproofing. I'm sure they'll make up some nonsense about bonding better or some crud but it's total bullfeathers.

This is something I was concerned about as well and discussed. It’s what they know and do when the shell is above grade. Seemed like nonsense to me as well but let’s get this pool in :).

Reactions: Newdude
It’s literally dealer undercoating for a new car, but for a pool. Something that was designed to serve a purpose by the manufacturer is ‘improved’ unneededly by the dealer. For $1200. Lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would do 6'. The forum is littered with posts about pools being too shallow, PBs doing shell depth vs water depth, etc. I haven't seen any about one being too deep. Let's say you specify 6' and they miss by 3" or more, you'll be back in the 5.5' range and won't have any issues since you were OK with that from the get go. However, if you specify 5.5' and they miss by 3"+, how are you going to feel?

I think my team got mine right, but in hindsight, I would have specified and extra 6" on everything for some fluff.

It’s literally dealer undercoating for a new car, but for a pool. Something that was designed to serve a purpose by the manufacturer is ‘improved’ unneededly by the dealer. For $1200. Lol.
:). The thing I can't find much on is efflorescence on the above water portions. Most of my pool walls will be above grade by 12" to 30". I really like the builder and the references were solid. Their concern is efflorescence issues so they put it in. I decided not to die on this hill.

I’d go to 7’. We went to 7’ and I kind of wish it was even deeper. The kids love swimming down to the bottom.

I would do 6'. The forum is littered with posts about pools being too shallow, PBs doing shell depth vs water depth, etc. I haven't seen any about one being too deep. Let's say you specify 6' and they miss by 3" or more, you'll be back in the 5.5' range and won't have any issues since you were OK with that from the get go. However, if you specify 5.5' and they miss by 3"+, how are you going to feel?

I think my team got mine right, but in hindsight, I would have specified and extra 6" on everything for some fluff.

If we go 6' I think it will be a steep slope near the end. I think I may have them dig past 5.5' near the end just to be sure we at least get that.

The household idea on 5.5' is a more usable pool for adults and the kids won't notice the 6" difference too much. I want as deep as possible for jumping in the wife wants to be able to walk across the pool.

Reactions: Snoobug
. I decided not to die on this hill.
Many times XYZ is part of the overall package and deleting it doesn’t affect the price. Every homeowner has to decide what they can and can’t swallow to derail a $80k+ build. It sucks but it is what it is.

Reactions: walkinpool
We did 3.5 to 5.5. We didn't want a diving board anyway. My build is still in progress.

Growing up we had an 8ft deep end with a diving board. The diving board just ate up space. I would swim and get things in the deep end but even then my joys were relaxing on the pool floats. Maybe I am lazy though... 🤣

The pool builder asked one of my 6 year olds what he wanted to do first in the pool. He said fall asleep on a pool float. 🤣 That's my kid!

Sorry huge tangent. You will love whatever you pick!

I should say that you are doing gunite and you have soooo much more flexibility on depths than I have with steel walls. I really wanted a 4ft shallow end... nope can't have... 😔

Reactions: walkinpool
Did my kids and their friends LOVE my diving board ? Yes. Did they routinely want to go nextdoor to play a whole different set of games in the neighbors above ground pool ? Also yes.

Trust me. It’s all good and there are no wrong answers. It will be hot. And you will be wet 😁

1) "1 load of gravel in the floor" means nothing - What is a "load". Is it a 1 CY masons dump or a 19 CY tri-axle, or somewhere in between. Might as well say everything will be "compacted real well" - specs like that drive me up a tree

2) Stop second guessing yourself. I have begun to do this as well, and I am really trying to stop. I get analysis paralysis over things, like should I run 240 or 120 volt in floor heating for a small area (either one is just fine BTW). If you keep wondering if you went to the right depth, then you are never going to enjoy your pool When I was a kid my neighbor had a pool with what was supposed to be a 8' deep end, and they overdug it by mistake and it was more like 9.5' to the main drain. We used to dive down there as kids and after a while your ears would really hurt if you didn't equalize. Yeah, it was fun and the slide and diving board were great, but more often than not we were in the shallow end playing volley ball or "professional wrestling". My ABG is only 4' and I do not miss the depth at all. What I do miss is the distance. It's hard to actually swim in my pool. At 6'4" a 27' pool gives me 2 or 3 strokes before I have to turn (and swimming in circles is no picnic)

Hey Walkinpool: we just finished our 6 month stressful build - small relaxation pool- last week - getting ready for pool school tomorrow. Look at this beauty - so relieved and excited! On depth - we never thought about deeper than 5’5” because we had a large 7’ vinyl lined pool for 25 years And I had the same opinion as your wife. I am 5’3 - my husband is 6’4”. Our contract was for a 3.5 - 5.5 - but the end result is actually just shy of 5’ at water level, because I can stand up at the end and the water line is at the middle of my chin. So - I now wish we had gone for 6 1/2 feet in order to clear swim (or walk) at a water depth closer to the high 5’s - if that makes sense. It won’t be exact. My husband contends that with only a 21’ length, the floor would have descended too steeply for comfort and the purpose of our pool is relaxation. So actually - he’s good with it. Me? I have no choice but I encourage you to go for the additional 6”. I think you will both end up with what you want. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 8C80DB69-C7EF-4A21-86B7-B212D116E5B4.jpeg
    8C80DB69-C7EF-4A21-86B7-B212D116E5B4.jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 122
  • E5A56252-729B-45B9-AAA3-072F8DF9A528.jpeg
    E5A56252-729B-45B9-AAA3-072F8DF9A528.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 122

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.