Deck Remodel Options

Greetings, long time no post. Came onboard the old pool forum before and during our pool build in 2001! 12,000 IG Gunite SWG. Pool has provided us years of entertainment and is due for a replaster. Waterline tiles are ok but mastic is cracking and several of the brick bullnose coping are "loose" Exposed aggregate deck was some cracks I've filled with "sanded grout" but needs a facelift. We have two skimmers, an autofill, and 24 safety cover anchors in the deck. We are looking at pavers, natural or manmade stone coping and deck. So we are thinking demo the coping and tiles and rebuild up from there as part of the replaster job. I see there are extension rings for various brands skimmers, and extending the safety cover anchors is conceivable so who out there has done this and what did you use?

Ken T.

We are currently doing a renovation, although we have a vinyl liner pool. Pulled up all decking (which was a mix of poured concrete, pavers, and actual bricks) and are going with Techo-Bloc Portofino coping and Techo-Bloc Blu pavers. Has a very natural stone look to it.

We had to involve a pool company as well as a landscaping company because we needed work done on plumbing, a new liner, etc. So the pool company is working with landscaping company to ensure skimmer, handrails, safety cover, etc. can all be reinstalled.

Here is a link to my post about my project:

Vinyl Liner Renovation in SE PA - Couple Questions

Hi. I have the Portifino coping (onyx black) and the Blu pavers as well (Champlain Grey, slate finish). We love them both. Are you going to grout the coping?

Hi. I have the Portifino coping (onyx black) and the Blu pavers as well (Champlain Grey, slate finish). We love them both. Are you going to grout the coping?

Yes I think we will be since the coping needs to be mortared I believe. Is there another option?

Any pictures of your pool / coping / pavers? We are going with Rock Garden Brown for Portofino and Champlain Grey with another color somewhat mixed in...I forget name of it offhand though.

I've seen it magazines without the grout. The slabs are installed right next to each other with no grout (with no room for it). It looks nice but I'm sure it's a nightmare trying to keep debris out of it. I used a black border for the pavers to match the coping of the pool.

Here the sand between the pavers is wet (pavers are in shade).
31919739825_4956122640_z.jpg

Pavers with the sun on them.
31919724635_561e6a863f_z.jpg

Close up of the coping.
28256338261_ce68de27a5_z.jpg

The sod is not put in and the cover is on but this shows a good view of the pavers.
26187460092_f19c272abe_z.jpg

I wish I had a better picture of the coping with the cover off but you can see it is light in color. Once it gets wet it gets a black and looks really nice.
28052089730_eca8c8f5aa_z.jpg

This last one shows you the pavers wet and dry (it had rained and they were drying out).
28256349841_24f9256097_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.